Ipod touch 1st gen internal speaker mod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by liberry, Feb 2, 2010.

1. liberry

liberry New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So I was just wondering if it would be possible to solder on a small speaker, ... say ... from some headphones or something, to replace the 8-bit speaker thats in there so it can play music. If you guys dont think so lol then how about soldering it to the headphone jack? Any support or info would be appreciated. Kind of timid about starting it though. I dont really know how it would fit inside but I'm sure I will find some way.
  2. rcfreak339

rcfreak339 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    No. It cannot be done.
  3. liberry

liberry New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Come on, you need to think outside the box. The only way I see this not working is if the board simply doesnt support it. Which would then lead me to the head phone jack option. I mean if you can plug in head phones why cant you solder it directly and create an internal speaker?
  4. Mkhcb

Mkhcb Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Space in the ipod is of limitation.
  5. GregoryFire

GregoryFire New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you really want a speaker, then you can do what I did, and just glue a speaker onto the back of a case. It'll make it a little thicker, but it's not too bad.
  6. Retro.Kicks.Ass

Retro.Kicks.Ass Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Just get a small speaker and wire it up to a headphone jack. Plug it in and you're set. May cause a bit of battery drain, but if you really want it then I think this would be more sensible than soldering it directly to the headphone jack.
  7. liberry

liberry New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Hah I guess soldering it would be a bit drastic for an internal speaker. Thanks for the replies guys.
  8. Retro.Kicks.Ass

Retro.Kicks.Ass Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Lol yeah...there's a site called Instructables or something like that that may be helpfuler
  9. Gregte

Gregte New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Two questions:

What is an 8-bit speaker? Do you mean a $1:00 speaker, as in 2 bits equals a quarter?

A speaker is always an analog device. it changes a varying electrical signal into a varying movement of air. Any speaker than can play voice can play music. the quality is a function of the bandwidth of the speaker, i.e. the lower and upper roll off frequencies it can reproduce as well as the flatness of the curve.

What do you mean by wiring it as opposed to soldering it?

If "wiring" it means to just twist the wires around a terminal, this will work but it will work at first but then later will fail. Oxidation will creep in over time and destroy the integrity of the connection. Soldering or a spring loaded, non-oxidizing plated and removable connection point are the only two practical methods that will last.
  10. Retro.Kicks.Ass

Retro.Kicks.Ass Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I think he means 8-bit as in the quality of it?

And if the 'wiring' question was directed at my grammar, its just a figure of speech for me. I meant soldering, 'wiring it up' being just a bit of slang workshop speak haha