iPod Touch 1st Gen 1013 Restore Error Code

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by atomicfart3514, Nov 29, 2009.

1. atomicfart3514

atomicfart3514 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    So I have my iPod touch that I treat with the utmost care and it got stuck in the apple logo on startup. I tried restoring in the iTunes(hold home button and plug in USB) and DFU mode and I always get the 1013 error code. So yesterday I brought it into the Apple Store and they attempted to restore it and it gave them the 1013 error code. He told me that it was a generic error code and it would cost $250 to get a new 3rd Gen iPod Touch, which isn't a very ideal result. So I spent some time thinking about this and I thought why is it my problem that Apple can't fix their iPod especially if it's a generic error code. I take great care of my iPod and have nothing wrong so why should I be paying $250 for a new one? So today I called Apple Care support and after complaining to them they told me that the $250 would be the cost to JUST REFURBRISH IT! So I said "so if I am going to pay $250 dollars then shouldn't I just buy a new 32GB 3rd Gen iPod Touch?" The man said he agreed with me and that he was sorry there was nothing else he could do. I then asked if there was a way to see if the iPod had a software or hardware error and he asked if the genius at the store had run a diagnostics test. I said no because all I had was a restore done and I was sent on my way. He said that the store should have run a diagnostics test because it was protocol. So now I have to go back into the Apple Store and get a diagnostics test run on my iPod because the initial genius didn't follow protocol and just insisted that the iPod touch had a hardware failure so it was out of warranty. I highly doubted it was a hardware failure because restoring the firmware is a software issue. And nobody can give me solid facts why it's not, other than the genius thinking he really is a "genius" and telling me it's not because he didn't follow protocol.

So tell me what else you think I should do other than get the diagnostics test run. Any comments or input would be much appreciated.

My overall goal would be to have my iPod replace or fixed for free because that would be the reasonable thing to do. Especially because all the trouble Apple has cause me thus far.

If you have the same problem post a reply here if we get enough supporters we may be able to get Apple to do something about this error code.
  2. jackieboy234

jackieboy234 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Have you tried to restore on another computer or mac ?
  3. atomicfart3514

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yes I forgot to mention that. I have done over 10 restore attempts on macs and pcs without any result.
  4. jackieboy234

jackieboy234 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok , Are you sure your in DFU mode and not Restore mode ?
  5. atomicfart3514

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yup. Right now I'm stuck in the iTunes screen, but I can get into DFU by turning it on and holding home an the power button for 10 seconds and then releasing the power and holding the home for 10 seconds. It takes a couple tries for me to get into it but I eventually do.
  6. jackieboy234

jackieboy234 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah ... Right so restore it and make sure there is nothing on the screen of the iPod touch when you are in DFU mode
  7. atomicfart3514

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I did tried to restore again same problem error code 1013.