Ipod Touch 1G Wifi and Battery Problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by robjdixon, Feb 17, 2010.

1. robjdixon

robjdixon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi,
    I have a 1G ipod touch, and have had it for a couple of years, and am starting to have trouble with the battery life and the wifi.

Firstly, the battery life is poor, and whilst normally, I would just buy a new battery and be done with it, is feels a bit bizzare. It runs fine for an hour or so, and then I normally put it on sleep as I get to school. when I come out, about 7 hours later, the battery shows 80%, but dies after a few minutes

Also, the wifi doesn't work any more. It can't see any networks.

i have restored, and still have the problem. Both problems seemed to start at the same time, so maybe they are connected, but I don't know about that.

Would it be worth opening it up, having a look inside, and replacing the battery while I am there?

Thanks all
    Rob
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Fully charge and then fully discharge to reset the battery meter. Then fully charge again and hard reset. That should fix the battery meter thoug after 2years of regular use under optimum conditions (see the battery link in my sig) you should find you battery is at ~70-80% of original capacity so will need to be charged more frequently.

For your wifi, try removing all layers of security from your router and see if you can then see it and connect. Unfortunately the WiFi/bluetooth/GPS chip are around the same area and can be damaged by high temps or shocks so it may be that your chip has just died - expensive to replace and if your battery is causing issues you may as well just give it up and get a whole new unit.
  3. robjdixon

robjdixon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the help

Thats a bit crap. Can you get OEM wifi chips for the ipod touch?

Rob