iPod touch 1G piezo speaker modding?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Yerffej, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I asked this question back in the day, and no result came from it. So I will ask again.
    I want to know if the piezo speaker for the 1G (the thing that makes the ipod beep and click) can be modded in any way, for example, maybe adding a new alarm sound or editing one like "jump" to playing something like the Final Fantasy victory theme, or making a metronome that uses the speaker.
    Anybody have any ideas on how to take advantage of this little piece of hardware? I know it has the potential to do more then keyboard clicks and letting you know when you get an e-mail.
  2. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

i remember i made some custom alarms like viva la vida, but it takes a lot of work editing the Alarms.plist hz-ms array thing
    you have to enter the frequency of the notes in hz (theres a chart on how to find out hz of certain notes) on one line followed by how fast it will be in MS by looking at the BPM of the song

I made a thread if you want to look for it
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120330
    I'll make some custom ones for $1 Paypal if you like
  3. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Maybe. I'll have to think on what I would want. Now do these alarms go through the piezo speaker itself? Or is it just the headphone jack? The info on your thread was a little confusing.
    And if I do think of anything, can I try it out first? I promise I won't rip you off.

~Edit: I looked at the alarms.plist file and it looks very confusing, with a bunch of weird characters and stuff, nothing straight forward like the stuff you have on your thread. I tried to show it here in a code box but it doesn't turn out when I previewed it. I opened the plist file with TextEdit on a mac and I'm running 3.1.2.
  4. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

its on the piezo itsself
    and it gets less confuzing after you do it (but still tedious)
  5. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I want to try out that fire and flames one that someone posted on your thread, but I don't know where to post it in the .plist. I edited my last post with more info on that file in case you missed it.

~Edit: Also, the link to that download in your thread is dead.
  6. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

use a plist editor like plisteditpro or the one that comes with the SDK
    another alternative is to convert it from binary to XML

link is dead but it dont matter since the thread is dead
  7. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, I converted to XML, tried to add Through the fire and the flames, converted back to bin, and it didn't work. I even tried your viva la vida and that didn't work either. I'm adding it directly under alarm 5. Is there something I'm doing wrong? the normal alarms still work fine

~Edit: I noticed in your thread you said the plist file is located in /var/Library/Alarms. I've been trying to edit the one in /Library/Alarms (not in /var). However, I looked in /var, and 'Library' is no where to be found in there. Got any idea on where else to look?

~Edit 2: I got viva la vida to work, at least partly. It needs a .aif file to go with it. Seeing as how I don't have the file for vila la vida, I just copied one of the .aif's from one of the default alarms and renamed it to "Viva La Vida.aif." It's now showing in the list of alarms, but it only plays the first few notes, unless it's supposed to be like that.

~Yet another darn Edit: It seems to go at the same length as the .aif file goes. So I'm gonna have to go through the trouble of making my own .aif files. Darn.
    Oh, and I'll let you know what I want soon, when I get it all figured out. I want to make sure it works for me when you make it.