iPod Touch 1G or 2G difference?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fender2, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Fender2

Fender2 New Member

I have considered to buy a new 2G iPod Touch 32GB, but have read that it is not possible to Jailbreak it. But what else is the main difference between the 1G and 2G? Is it possible to get more apps on the 2G than it was on the 1G, without Jailbreaking it?
    On the 1G version, I seem to remember that it only was possible to set up a mail account if it first was been Jailbreaked, but what about the 2G? Is it possible to set up a mail account on it? And what other programs is available on 2G without Jailbreaking it?
  2. pegaxs

pegaxs Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Get the 2nd gen. Its only a matter of time until they get the jailbreak for it.

Its faster, has external speakers, external volume buttons, supports voip using an iphone hands free ear piece and mic. its a nicer case. gone back to the old chrome finish instead of brushed alloy. sits better in the hand. newer apps are being written for the 2nd gen and updated firmware. it has a mail client already on it and you can use your normal pop server with it. im sure it also supports things like gmail as well. possible upgrade with firmware in the future to include bluetooth and FM radio (big maybe) nike+ is built in, just need the sensor.

there is more to life then jailbreaking your ipod. apart from running themes and homebrew there isnt really much the 1st gen has going for it. the 2nd gen jailbreak will come and then the people here who trash the 2nd gen with all have to say about it being a bad unit as it cant be jailbroken will eat alot of humble pie.

If your only concern is jailbreaking, get the 1st gen. it seems a high price to pay compared to what you get in the new 2nd gen and the potential it holds just for the sake of not wating for the jailbreak to come.
  3. Fender2

Fender2 New Member

Thank you very much for your reply and good advice. Then I think I will go for the 2nd gen

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have the 1G. Dont care to bash 2g at all. 2G is newer technology and sooner or later there will be a jb for it. The external speaker is about the only true seperation between the 2. sleeker look, feels better, blah blah blah. Both are small and light as hell. Both have sleek look, a good feel, etc. Both can do voip with external handset. Both come with email client, gmail, etc. Bluetooth is a fantasy right now. Havent seen any definite data that shows it will/can be made available with the 2G. FM radio would be nice but i honestly dont see that happening with any newer ipod in the future. JB right now is basically used for customizing the look of your ipod.There are not many apps available only for jb ipods right now. Most apps are in the app store and can be used with either jb or non-jb 1G and 2G. I've seen iphone only apps, but not any 2G only, but I'm sure they're coming.

Bottom line, if you want to save a few bucks and you find a good deal, buy the 1G. If you want external speaker, slightly faster loading apps, possible upgrades in the future, buy a 2G. Both are great, fun to use gadgets. You wont go wrong buying either one.
  5. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

Probably a good summary of differences off the top of my head -

-A speaker.
    -Only the 2G works with certain apps.
    -A new shaped body.
    -Volume buttons.
    -New and improved (re-engineered) Home Button
    -New Sound Chip with improved music playback.
    -Faster More Responsive.
    -Mic-in for VOIP calls and Voice Recorders.
    -Ability to control your music without powering on your iPod.
    -Nike+.
  6. SOMBOON9

SOMBOON9 New Member

You want to paid money for buy new tecnology or old technology ....up yo you..
  7. JAD

JAD New Member

I've got both. Go 2G for all the reasons already listed.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I sure hope we get bluetooth and radio support eventually. They're on my wish list. AM radio would be fine. I just want to listen to the local news now and again.

Why is Apple stalling on releasing their in-ear headphone/mic combo I wonder? I'm hoping it's because they don't want to annoy us by releasing that and then we all end up having to buy bluetooth headphones....well, one can wish!
  8. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

Fingers crossed !!
  9. JAD

JAD New Member

Indeed! I forgot the other thing I REALLY, REALLY want is the wifi on/off one-touch icon like you can get for the jailbroke 1G. The thing is absolutely brilliant if, like me, you spend a great deal of intermittent time online. I wish someone would put one in the app store!