Ipod touch 1G Dock Connector replacement

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by N9NTH, Dec 30, 2008.

1. N9NTH

N9NTH New Member

Hello, ifans.com.

My 1G ipod touch has a broken dock connector; two of the pins are bent out of shape and won't touch the contacts on the USB cable. Unfortunately, one of those bent pins is the USB data pin, meaning that no data transfer can take place and it can't charge (even though the USB +/- power pins are intact, apparently the ipod touch has to provide information about the correct amperage, voltage, etc. and it can't bacause the data pin is bent out of shape.) I can't ship it back to apple because it is out of warranty, and it seems like I can't find a way to bend those two pins back into place. The battery's dead, and since it can't charge it hasn't been turned on in 2 weeks. Unless I can bend those pins back into place, I''l have to buy a new dock connector and solder it back onto the logic board.

Does anyone know how to find a tool small enough to bend those pins back into place? If not, where can I find an online store or just a brick-and-mortar store that sells replacement 30-pin dock connector for 1G ipod touch (preferably in Canada, but anything is fine)? Also, I have seen various new replacement dock connectors for the original iphone on some online stores. Can I solder one of those onto my ipod touch logic board or do I have to find one specific to the 1G ipod touch? THank you for reading this and for your time.
  2. mrrk9077

mrrk9077 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    if you need a replacement i found eforcity to be a good place. i got my cable replacement there for $5 free shipping
  3. N9NTH

N9NTH New Member

Sorry, but they only carry accessories, not replacement parts.
  4. touchtyrone

touchtyrone New Member