iPod Touch 1G 2.2.1 Recovery mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LilNguyen7, May 5, 2009.

1. LilNguyen7

LilNguyen7 New Member

I have an iPod Touch 1G 2.2.1 in recovery mode after trying to update my Facebook app last night. The iPod crashed I believe and now is in recovery mode (it shows iTunes with an arrow from the USB cord). I've looked for guides or helps on this subject but cannot find anything that is according to firmware 2.2.1. Can anyone help me on this? I don't want to restore my iPod, this will be a last resort.

Note: The picture shows an iTunes symbol with the USB end pointing to it, not the pin connector as most videos show.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Just connect it to itunes then?
  3. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I know this is for 2G, but the same principals are used. I think Download RedTool, and do all the associated stuff that you need (all in redTool), and then go to the Boot menu, and click "Boot out of Recovery Mode". It should work.

The pin connector was for late 1.x.x. The USB is for 2.x.x
  4. LilNguyen7

LilNguyen7 New Member

It doesn't seem to work. I installed RedTool 1.0, it has the boot menu and I clicked "Boot my iPod from recovery mode." But nothing happens. My iPod is connected and the screen shows then iTunes symbol and the USB cord. Can you please advise?
  5. Tavis_C

Tavis_C Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What I found to work is this: Download Quickpwn. Install it, and then try to run it. You'll get something like "Press power and home for 15 seconds, then press power for 2 seconds to restart your device." Once its done, it'll restart and get out of recovery. I was helping a friend over the internet JB, and I stupidly put mine into recovery. I had a few minutes of panic before I found this on youtube. Anyways, hope it works.
  6. LilNguyen7

LilNguyen7 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried using that as well. I cannot get past the first step, where it says "press power and home for 15 seconds, then press power for 2 seconds to restart your device." Or maybe I am doing it right but it will not work. This is what I did.

1. Installed latest version of Quickpwn
    2. Started it up
    3. Plugged in my iPod (my ipod screen shows the iTunes symbol and USB cord)
    4. iTunes DOES recognize my iPod
    5. I hold the sleep and home button for ten seconds.
    6. After 10 seconds, I let go of the home button and hold the sleep button for an additional 2 seconds.
    7. It boots up with the same screen, iTunes and USB cord.
    8. Quickpwn will not let me go any further.
  7. Tavis_C

Tavis_C Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try having the iPod plugged in, and then starting the program up. Also, try the full 15 seconds instead of just 10.
  8. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OMG i'm having the same problem right now. I'm stuck on the recoverey mode but i can restore but i don't want to do that so if someone can answer our problem that would be great.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Loogie

Loogie New Member

I was administering an Exchange Server with Active Sync installed. Allows connected devices to be remote wiped/blocked. Clicked Block function (cos I thought it would just block and not remote wipe the iPod). Worked straight away. ...but unblock did not restore it. Uh, oh.

Left with iPod Touch 1G (last known firmware 2.2.1) in Restore/Recovery mode (Cable and iTunes logo on the screen). It's behaving exactly as described by each poster above.

I can't get it out of recovery mode using the buttons. Tools such as iLiberty (which should allow me exit recovery mode) won't recognise this iPod as being connected at all (but they will recognise my girlfriends iPod Touch 2G 2.2.1 just fine). The only program other than iTunes to even see my device is QuickFreedom (thru LIBUSB) but that doesn't have and 'exit recovery mode' function.

My last backup is from February and I use an app called Timelogger to record all my hours. I stand to lose over four months of data for this app that I would really, really, like to keep!

I have a feeling that the OS has been wiped rather than simply being in recover mode. However, if you guys find a way out of this for me - that would be superb.

I might try loading a new payloaded firmware onto the device and hope that it doesn't affect the user data too much and then try and scalpel out the XML file or whatever it is that Timelogger uses.... I'm just worried that once I go down this path, there's no turning back if this doesn't work and I might lose the data (assuming it's not already gone).

Incidentally, I bought a book by a guy (Zdziarski) to help me recover the data... it's a pretty good book except for the fact that the first step is not working for me! It's well written though and explains a lot of what's going on inside this little yoke. I just need to get this little bugger out of recover mode or at least detmerine if it can't come out (for a particular reason) and then I can push forward.
  10. sames_pit

sames_pit New Member

In recover mode

My ipod touch crasehd, and was not responding to any of the (power), or (power +home) button holds.
    So, i put it in recovery mode by connecting to itunes.
    Now, is there anyway to start the ipod touch from here, without havign to restore?