iPod to PS3 via bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by myfavthing, Feb 6, 2010.

1. myfavthing

myfavthing New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Since the latest update all of my bluetooth devices can now at least "see" my ipod, if not pair with it. I managed to pair with the PS3, thinking that I could play music over it. What happens is this:
    The PS3 sees my Touch, and adds it
    I go to play music on the Touch, the little bluetooth symbol comes on the screen
    The PS3 will then play exactly 3 notes and then no sound (the Touch still thinks it's playing over an external bluetooth device but no further sound comes out of the PS3)

It was sort of just an experiement to see what the bluetooth would do and not do and with which devices.

Has anyone else tried this? any luck?
  2. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hmmm...thats odd. I haven't tried that, but i have used my laptop. It plays over it once i get it to pair. Sometimes it takes a few tries tho. The bluetooth is almost completely useless in the touch.
  3. myfavthing

myfavthing New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I haven't tried to play it over the laptop, I'll have to play with that. Maybe if I figure out one, I can figure out the other.

I don't know about useless.....my son has one and he and I play games over bluetooth. We also have a chatting app. It's kind of fun when we're in the car, especially. We also use the bump application a lot to send pictures back and forth.
  4. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I guess its not useless, but it isn't used to its full potential.
  5. myfavthing

myfavthing New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    that's definitely true. Every update seems to open it up a little more.

I just realized a couple of weeks ago that I can use location services without wi-fi. Totally blew my mind to see that little blue dot moving as I drove.
  6. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    huh? really? that sounds awesome. I'll have to try that out tomoro.
  7. myfavthing

myfavthing New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You have to load your map at home first. Location services can find you without wi-fi (I don't really understand how that bit of magic works) but it can't load maps. That's the limitation. And it isn't exact as GPS, but it's pretty close! If you have mapped a location, and you haven't been there before, it's handy because you can see if you drive past the location.

LMK how it works for you.

I was looking for a house the first time. My husband was driving so I was watching the map carefully, otherwise I might not have noticed it. It's fun to play with. Just load the map for wherever you're going today and try it out. On the Apple site it even says that the maps app uses location service through "known wi-fi hotspots". So it's not GPS technology, but also why advertise it, when you can get people to buy GPS kits?

One more thing, it only works with the native map app (Google) I downloaded mapquest and could not get it to work.
  8. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ya, i tried it out today. It worked ok in town, but of course it was completely lost when i got on the interstate. Still kinda cool tho. I was kinda hopin that the 3rd gen would get a gps chip of some kind. It would be sweet to be able to use it as a full-on gps.
  9. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    bluetooth with a wireless head phones is pretty sweet.
  10. myfavthing

myfavthing New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I haven't tried the wireless headphones, but I imagine it would be!!

There are some nice kits out there that have GPS adapters. Of course they cost as much as the Touch, but probably less than an GPS. Maybe could find one on eBay?