Ipod SIM

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by birdman472, Apr 28, 2008.

1. birdman472

birdman472 Guest

Just wondering if it would Technically be possible to attach a w-sim card (or regualr sim) to an ipod touch and use it as a real phone?

Im just curious and i doubt u can so plz dont flame.
    Just trying to explore a bit into the possibilities
  2. Chucky102

Chucky102 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm not going to flame, but YOU CAN'T.
  3. aserraric

aserraric New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    An emphatic NO. The touch doesn't have suitable RF hardware for either GSM or CDMA, which you would need for operation as an actual cell phone. The WiFi works on a completely different frequency (not to mention the different encoding).
  4. anthonyalvernaz

anthonyalvernaz New Member

YES!

Despite what everyone has been saying yes, you can. You see, the iphone and ipod touch are very similar though some internal components are different it wouldn't be too hard to esentialy make an ipod touch an iphone. You would need to first find chipsets that would be compatible with the ipod touch as far as sodering the correct cables. If you wanted to make a GSM phone, though a different frequency as what the touch current emits, whats to say you can remove the wifi chip and insert the iphones GSM card? If that was the case, which im sure it can be done, it should be a peice of cake to get the iphone to reconize it. In case you dont know, the ipod touch actually has the iphones .plist file (preferences, drivers in a way..) through SSH I have enabled it and i thinks its an iphone! For example, when i open the cam. app it opens but then says i dont have room.......
    If you wanted to make it opperate on CDMA that would be much more difficult because you would have to find a chipset that was similiar to the iphones GSM chip. If you are unable to find somthing like that which i bealive is pretty hard t do, I suppose it would be possible to code a drivers pack for it. Note that this is more of somthing for Apple to do not at the consumer level concidering Apple has everything they need, rrecorces etc.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the typos!
    --Anthony
  5. jujubeanie21

jujubeanie21 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. SimonTheSnowman

SimonTheSnowman Active Member

technically... you can... put a SIM inside an ipod touch....

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well there was a thing posted on the Moyashi blog about some guy trying to get w-sim working, and so far he has gotten it to connect and use it... but there is no news on phone usage...

Here a link to his blog:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=73n&sa=G

So if it is possible he will find out how

Please Register or Log in to view images

http://translate.google.com/transla...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=73n&sa=G

Looks like he is selling the adaptors also...Mabey he has done it?