iPod shutsdown by itself

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nadnerb33, Jan 3, 2009.

1. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My first Touch broke so this replacement is a brand new 32gb 1g and only about 1 month old. Not jailbroken and running retail 2.2 firmware.

So the problem...?
    It shutsdown by itself. It's never happened while using it, it has only happened when I haven't used it for a while eg overnight or even after a few hours.

So after a few hours I pick it up and its off and wont switch back on! I have to keep pressing the buttons and eventually it switches on.
    And no, the battery is not low, it has happened when its fully charged too.

Anyone else experienced a problem like this?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    no one has had their iPod turn off by itself?

Did it again today and because it was off the alarm didn't go off and I was late for work.
    Totally my fault though for being stupid and not foreseeing it!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. *JustMe*

*JustMe* Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    mine did that too i was on safari then the screen went black and shut off it wouldnt turn back on it had a full battery so i had to reset it
    sometimes my screen wont respond and the volume messes up like when i turn it down it goes all the way down even if i only push it once and then when i try to turn it up it just flicks on an off and i have to unlock it and use the screen volume controls
    i called apple the only thing they said was to reset it
    but it doesnt work
  3. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's never shutdown while I've been using it. It only happens when its been idle for a while.
    This morning the battery was completely dead even though I had just charged it the night before.
    Might have to take it back to Apple for the second time in a few months, grrr

Just noticed it's reset itself to 1st Jan 2000 too!
  4. milfette

milfette New Member

does it come up with the slide to turn off thing, because mine wont stop doing that.
    Its not even a year old!!
  5. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I dont think so, just turns off.
    Flat battery again this morning after a full charge and wifi being off.
    Not sure what it's doing to completely drain the battery because even If I left it playing it would easily last the 7hrs I was asleep.

Ok, now another problem, I upgraded to 2.2 for free *cough* although it's not jailbroken.
    If I return it to Apple as it currently is, will they know? Or should I restore to 1.1.4 then return it?
  6. milfette

milfette New Member

my battery goes flat too when im not looking, sometime it will shut back off while the apple first hits the screen stay off for a few seconds then BAM! does it again.
  7. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Weird, hasn't done it for a while.
    That makes it difficult to prove its faulty now.

Might just downgrade to 1.1.4 and see how it goes.
  8. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Turns out the cause of the problem was my case, or more precisely the magnets in the case: http://www.cygnett.com/products/cases/g_pocket_leather_touch.htm

The magnets are either side of the home button and the one on the left is right above the processor which it somehow interferes with.
    I did some testing and on the lowest brightness the screen flickers when you wave the case over the CPU!!

Obviously if the magnet is sat in that position 24/7 then it must be doing quite a bit of harm and somehow draining my battery.

BTW, this case was on sale in an Apple Store so you'd think it would be approved and safe to use. Obviously not!
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

ipod shut down....

i wasn't even payin attention to my ipod touch~ i was thinkin~it run out of battery...so i charge it but nothin happen...

it turn off by itself....now i cant open it TT_TT...and its not even a month when i bought it.....
  10. milesaway0

milesaway0 Guest

turn on airplane mode then turn it off!!! worked for me