ipod screen dead spots

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Keeheon, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Keeheon

Keeheon Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hey guys,

I have a 1st gen iPod touch thats about a year and a half old. The screen has some "dead" spots where that section of the screen doesnt work. Like for example, I cant type letters r, d, and x on my ipod. I also can't drag and drop apps, or the text bubble on the strip of the screen...

I was wondering if I bought a new screen from like eBay, and replaced it, the spots should disappear. Is it a hardware issue?

Thanks,
    Keeheon

P.S. I have dropped it only once, and it landed screen down, didnt do major damage but only scuff marks on the sides...
  2. qbal1

qbal1 New Member

if its the exact same spots every time that are dead my guess is that it is hardware thats bad. you can test this if its jailbroken by installing Veency and try clicking the same spots through the network client. if it works, its probabally hardware. if it still doesnt work then its definetly your firmware or something.
  3. Keeheon

Keeheon Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ummm. is there a non-jailbreaking meathod? I dont want to go through the hassle to test one small thing...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I just tried a full restore, and that didnt help... So im positive its hardware issues...
  4. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Install Scribble and color the entire page with the thickest line. Whatever remains uncovered is a dead spot. It is probably a digitizer issue.
  5. qbal1

qbal1 New Member

there's no way to test clicking without using the screen other than through a jailbreak cause there's no kind of server software on the normal firmware. but it seems like a small hastle to replacing a screen. to the best of my knowledge ull either have to restore and test new firmware, jailbreak and test the current firmware, or gamble on a new screen
  6. Keeheon

Keeheon Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    oh, ifixit says that replacing the screen and/or digitizer is the most difficult replacement, and I shouldn't do it unless I'm up for some spare time and lots of patience... I tried scribble, and its like a long strip that runs vertically more to the left to the screen, so I can't play games that have buttons there or gameloft games that have the d-pad there... It sucks
  7. Kairi12KH

Kairi12KH New Member

Noticed this was an older post, but I just wanted to say that if the digitalizer is in fact the hardest, everything must be pretty easy. I replaced mine and it works like a charm. im only 14 too. you just need to be delicate while doing it. it only took me about an hour.
  8. JailbreakHelp

JailbreakHelp Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Please don't bump 2 year old threads. I know you were trying to help.