iPod out of wireless range

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gballa50, Oct 20, 2008.

1. gballa50

gballa50 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My house is probably about 50 yards from my friends, and he has internet and I don't. I can't pick the network up with my mac's airport, but i can with the Wi-Fire wireless adapter that increases range by 300%. So internet sharing works fine and i have full bars with the ipod touch, but google takes 2 minutes at least to load, and thats a search engine(duH) MY garage is between his and my house, and I was initially planning to put a pc in there and share internet connection with my mac, but seems impossible. What could I possibly put in my garage (hopefully inexp*nisve) to "bounce" the internet from my friends house to my house for a better signal strength? Thanks.
  2. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you can take the bottom off of a pringle can and put it in the window facing him. im serious, its called a cantenna, wiki it
  3. d3adeyes

d3adeyes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    the cantenna takes a little more than that and you would also need to hard wire it to your nic card which is a little involved if you don't know electronics and how to read a scematic.

the only way is to either move his wireless closer, have him put stronger antennea on, run a cat5 cable from his router to your house or get your equiptment closer to the signal.

As far as having "full bars" you don't really, it's just something that happens with Wi-Fi devices that make you think you have a better range than you really do.
  4. gballa50

gballa50 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    can i bounce the internet so im not using his entire bandwidth or whatever, cause my garage is in between his house and mine? Thanks
  5. Lupevalenz

Lupevalenz New Member

Go visit his house more often? Or get your own wireless because if you just connect with his, you will be taking up some bandwidth as well and with some companies coming up with bandwidth caps, I be pissed off on getting cut off because someone was using my bandwidth.
  6. River

River New Member

LOL!!!! You're missing A LOT of parts other than the can, buddy.
  7. gballa50

gballa50 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    lol i know but my parents are basically nazis and they unplug the router/modem unless they need it. I have tried to connect my own router, but my dad being an electrician, made it so that only one phone slot in the whole house will connect to the internet. I found where one would enable more dsl slots but idk how to do it, its just a bunch of wires. So i would need to bounce my friends internet, and I assure you hes cool with it.
  8. d3adeyes

d3adeyes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you can not "bounce" his signal you need to make the signal stronger or more directional which the 'rents may have a problem with
  9. Jesus69

Jesus69 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Uhhh, what you are trying to do would be very difficult, what I think you are doing is putting a pc in your garage with a wireless card, and using his net with that, then creating an ad-hoc network from your pc to ur mac?? If so it would work, I used to do that with a macbook and my parents mac pro, I dont think it will make a difference with a PC...
  10. shepdogg

shepdogg Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    um u can stop being cheap and by ur own router

EDIT: nevermind i didnt read the rest of the post sucks for u