iPod notifications...how do they really work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cad2blender, Aug 26, 2010.

1. cad2blender

cad2blender Member

hey guys I just wanna get this straight because it is confusing the heck out of me. I got an ipod touch with iOS4 and turned on the notifications so I can receive texts using textfree and get IM's using Meebo. Now, If these notifications are set to on and I put my ipod to sleep for the night I get the notifications, but how? The wifi is left on when I put it to sleep, but I'm guessing the wifi turns off and only turns on to check any notifications? If this is the case, then how often does it check? Finally...does leaving the notifications on drop the battery life significantly?

Thanks in advance!
  2. smidges

smidges Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    it used to be it wouldnt even check it it would just trun off wifi altogether. but with ios 4 if wifi is connected it wont get turned off if it is sleeping
  3. cad2blender

cad2blender Member

interesting...I left it sleeping overnight with wifi on and notifications and the battery was barely drained...it actually drained the same amount if the wifi were to be off and the notifications off too. Anyone experience this?
  4. Blackened

Blackened Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah iOS4 has "persistent wifi" and is always running. You can toggle into airplane mode or turn wifi off through SBSettings at night to save the battery.