ipod not recognized by computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stroh37, Jul 16, 2009.

1. stroh37

stroh37 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So I got a new computer (running XP), and when I plug in my iPod touch, nothing happens, no recognition. It doesn't even start charging. I've got a 1st generation iPod (16GB) and I have no idea what jailbreaking is, so I doubt that has occurred. I've tried all of the apple troubleshooting steps on their website with no luck:
    I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes (version 8.2.0.23)
    I uninstalled my virus protection software
    iPod is fully charged (from plugging into other computers) and using firmware version 2.2.1
    I plugged into every USB port using two different cables
    I restarted both the iPod and my computer several times
    I started msconfig and disabled all non-Microsoft services
    I even called Apple, and they said all they could do is walk me through all of the above steps that I already did.
    I still have my old computer that I can sync my iPod to for podcasts and whatnot, but it is on it's last legs, and I need to get my iPod working with my new computer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Arisea

Arisea New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    -don't leap up and kill me because this is just a theory, but!

Have you checked you have bonjour installed on your computer? I think (think) bonjour is apples software that they have on windows computers which recognizes when an apple device is connected, ... So if you didn't have bonjour, computer may not recognize iPod?

Think that is what it is for.

Next theory, I think there is a program which does the same sortof thing as bonjour - it's called libUSB and I don't reccommend using it ok? It's last option. Because if it goes wrong, it pretty much makes your computer worthless because it doesn't recognize the keyboard or mouse etc.

I think it is made for a similar thing as bonjour, recognizing foreign inputs into the pc but am not actually sure, just saying it incase it gives somebody else an idea to help ya

si
  3. deleted account 106

deleted account 106 Member

Have you tryed a differant USB cable into your computer?
  4. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Since it's not charing at all it's most likely a faulty usb-cable, faulty usb-port, or something is wrong with the input on the iPod. First i would try with a different cable and port, and let us know if that helps.
  5. AHN

AHN New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    do any other usb devices (printer, camera, etc)?