iPod not charging

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eozoon, Nov 5, 2007.

1. eozoon

eozoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi, I'm having problem charging / getting the computer to reconize my iPod Touch.

I tried using a charger (old one from when I bought a 3G iPod) and computer, both method had worked fine before.

Today when I plugged my iPod Touch, it seemed to be fine and started iTune automatically, but iTune failed while trying to sync my contacts, saying "device timed out", I figured it was probably because the thing was busy downloading something from the Installer. But a while later iPod disappeared from iTune menu.

After that, when I plug my ipod to a computer, it says "USB Device Not Reconized" (I used both my usual computer and two other laptops) and wouldn't start. Nothing happened when I plug it to a charger either.

The iPod itself seems to be working fine. I even shut it down to restart and there don't seems to be any problem, except it only has 10% battery left. Force restore doesn't work probably because the computer doesn't reconize it as an iPod at all.

It's a jailbroken 16gb ipod touch, nothing special installed on it (Maps, Mail, Notes, TTR, Books, Squid, Money) and it had worked that way for a couple of weeks.
    I was downloading Britannica Concise this morning when the problem occurred, but the installation seems to went through fine, I removed it just in case that was the cause of the problem, doesn't seems to make any difference, it was probably a coincidence?

Does this sound like a problem with the connector (the computer reconises something being plugged in, just doen't reconize it as an ipod) problem, or software problem?
    Do you think I can get it to Apple for repair if I am not able to restore it to unjailbroken state?
  2. Rawd

Rawd New Member

hmm. good questions. You say you have tried it on a few computers, and with a wall plug? Sounds to me like a physical problem with the connector. Do you have access to a different connector?
  3. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    More specifically have you tried a different usb port?
  4. eozoon

eozoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Rawd:
    I only have one cable, but I did try it on an old alkaline battery-ipod charger (that I never tried on the ipod before) with it's on connector, also no effect. I will try to borrow a cable from someone and see if that helps.

rokrboy:
    Yes, I did try using all the ports (front, back, unplugged the wireless mouse and plug the ipod there, even tried a couple other computers).
    A possibly interesting thing is that one of the message poped up was "this device can perform faster on a 2.0 port" when I am sure the port I've plugged into is a 2.0 port... (worked that way before, and I plugged my 2.0 only external hard drive and got no error.)

Thanks.
  5. nerp

nerp New Member

You said a synch started while installer was doing something? That might be the culprit. If all else fails, I suspect a restore to a fresh 1.1.1 and a new jailbreak might be in order.
  6. eozoon

eozoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can't restore, since the computer doesn't reconize it at all, as in, it wasn't just iTune not reconizing it, it doesn't even know it's an ipod.

I did try to do the force restore, it just stayed at the apple icon, I gave up after holding the home button for 3 more minutes.

If else fail I will just wait till the 10% battery is used up and get it to the Apple store for fixing / replacement. Assuming they can't charge it either, there's hopefully no way for them to tell it was jailbroken until after they fixed it / replaced it

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. maajake

maajake New Member

There are two methods to force the ipod into the restore mode, I had the same problem, try the other method. I already posted it on two post and I'm too lazy to fully type it, or post it here.