iPod no recognized by Windows, device manager, or iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bronxblogger, Nov 1, 2008.

1. bronxblogger

bronxblogger New Member

I did a search feature, none oif tips helped at all.

My iPod was working fine up until a few weeks ago. I have done nothing since then to the ipod. As a matter of fact, I replaced my hard drive, so it's not a HD issue.
    iTunes does not read the ipod, windows does not read the ipod, nothing shows up in the device manager. I used to plug it in to charge and it will say an Apple camera was found. Not it says nothing, not even the connection jingle.

I am JB 1.1.4, used the ipod wiper in the SMB tools, nothing happened.

I cannot restore the ipod since I need iTunes to finish the restore. The home and sleep button combo trick doesn't work.

I can still charge the iPod, listen to music, use the apps, and watch movies.

Anyone know how I can get my PC (Windows XP SP3) to read my ipod correctly?

Please Register or Log in to view images

I would like to add more songs to my iPod

2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

If Windows detects an 'Apple Camera', the USB port sees the iPod.. but for some reason, isn't loading the drivers iTunes needs to recognize it as an iPod Touch. Have you reinstalled iTunes yet?
  3. bronxblogger

bronxblogger New Member

I have installed and reinstalled iTunes 7.0 a few times actually, still no results. Not a fan of 8.0, I like the mini store on 7.0
  4. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

try using a different ipod usb. the new 2.0 should work, otherwise it is a software problem.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Try reinstalling Apple Mobile Device Support.
  6. bronxblogger

bronxblogger New Member

FIXED!

Here's everything that I have done:

USB plugged into the USB port on the motherboard (I tried my USB hub, card reader, and Belking add-on card)

Ran CCleaner to dump bad registries and keys

Went into my Scanner and Camera folder in CP, right clicked on Apple Camera, told it to ignore it when plugged in

Unplugged the iPod from the cable

Had to update to iTunes 8.0.1 (RIP mini store)

Plugged in my iPod, PC read it correctly, iTunes read it correctly!

There you have it. Still running JB 1.1.4
  7. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    good dude. good luck with your iPod.

8. kcourt10

kcourt10 New Member

iTouch recoginzed as camera on Windows XP...another fix

I hate to even try to explain how I was able to solve this problem because I am such a novice in this area but I was persistent enough to find a solution. After having found it am I sure I will struggle to remember all of the steps but I will at least try hoping to save someone the 3 hours I spent attempting to figure this out myself.

Step 1 -
    I followed the advice from another thread on another website that said I should go to Start menu, click the "Run" icon and type in "devmgmt.msc". That brought up the "Device Manager". The other website suggested that I would find "Apple iPod" under one of the "USB icons" and by clicking on the "+" next to the icon I could locate it. However, when your iTouch is being recognized as a camera it does not appear under the USB icons. It appears under the "Imaging Devices" icon.

Step 2 -
    Click on the "+" next to the "Imaging Devices" and "Apple iPod" should appear (if it doesn't, I apologize because I cannot explain to you from here where to go. If it does, go to Step 3.)

Step 3 -
    Right click on "Apple iPod" and then click on the "Driver" tab, middle of the 3 tabs at the top.

Step 4 -
    Click on "Driver Details" - the driver file name should end with "usbaapl.sys". If it does not, you do not have the correct driver installed to sync your iTouch. So you need to go to Step 5. If it does, again I apologize but my expertise has been exceeded and this solution is likely not for you.

Step 5 -
    Close the "Driver Details" window and click on "Update Driver" - This will open the "Hardware Update Wizard" (if you are using Windows XP). In this window, click on "Install from specific location" button and click "Next"

Step 6 -
    Click "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install." and click "Next"

Step 7 -
    Click "Have Disk" (even if you don't have a disk, I didn't and it worked anyway, because you will tell the computer where to find the "usbappl.sys" file eventually anyway.)

Step 8 -
    Choose "Browse" in the next window

Step 9 -
    Go to your "Program Files" folder on your main drive (C: for me)
    Click "Common Files"
    Click "Apple"
    Click "Mobile Device Support"
    Click "Drivers"

Step 10 -
    The file that appears in this folder is actually called - "usbappl.inf"
    Select it and click "OK".

This made the final connection for me (somehow leading the computer to the "usbappl.sys" file which also is in this folder but does not appear as an option in the final step) and my iTouch began to sync within 5 seconds. Wow. What a relief. I hope this is clear and I hope this works for you. Sorry it is so long, but if it can save anyone a ton of time and frustration I will feel my time was well spent.
  9. boming

boming New Member

Hi i have a question. this is a serious IPOD touch 2g problem. i cant find this anywhere on the site.

Okay so heres the deal. I recently Jail broke my IP touch 2g with the 3.0 firmware. it worked great. I even got IPAs to work. Just as i got the IPAs to work i went to >control pannel>add/remove programs. I removed some programs that i thought i didnt need. I remember removing libusb, and apple mobile..., however i restored those. Now my ipod is stuck on the ipod touch boot screen and it wont go tru... i can see a little loading wheel. its funny the dfu does not seem to work... and also itunes cannot connect to ipod. for example when i plug ipod in nothing happens in i tunes.

I have dont the following...
    1. try to set ipod into dfu
    2. try and jailbraking ipod with quickfreedom 2.0
    3. try and reinstall itunes

none work... i went to apple today... they said they cant help me...
    SO IF ANYONE WHO CAN HELPPP PLEASEEE PLEASEEE reply

ohh forgot something, i went to device manager and apple ipod usb wasnt there. and everytime i try to put in dfu mode, my computer says found new hardware and makes me install. (it never works, unless there is a software?)

thanks.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    THANK YOU THANK YOU !kcourt10
    i figured it out thankss thankss