Ipod network security

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by appwizard, Oct 25, 2007.

1. appwizard

appwizard New Member

Hello all,

forgive me if this has been discussed in detail, but I've been reading this board for a little bit and have not seen too many people stress the importance of this.

If you are going to jailbreak your ipod and enable SSH, you NEED to change your root password. This is not a thing you should do, but a thing that MUST be done. Once your ipod is cracked, and you open it up to the world via SSH, anyone within range of you with any sort of knowledege and tools could simply hack there way into your ipod. Once in, they could do things that you may not necessarily know about, such as, set up an email relay or spamming bot, where anytime your ipod is connected to the internet, it will be relaying or at least sending out spam to any and everywhere. You may think well the worst that could happen is that someone would just get in and erase all of my stuff, well that is not the worse, the worse is having mega battery drain and other complications that you cant explain or dont even know about.

The ipod runs unix, and yes it is a stripped down version, but it is still very powerfull and capable of many many things. There are so many other possibilities that it is better to just protect yourself and change the damn password from 'alpine' to something else..

if you are in any publicly shared hotspot area, or in your house with an open wireless network, or on someone elses wireless network, and a savvy person sees you on an ipod touch, rest assured that there will be attempts to check to see if your sh*t is locked down, and if it isnt, I'm sure that they'll let you know another way.

you can change your root password by installing the BSD subsystem and at the command prompt (after SSHing in or running Term-vt100), typing:

#passwd

then follow the instructions..
  2. Glisern

Glisern New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OR, you could install "services" and deactivate SSH until you are at home on your own WiFi, then turning SSH on ONLY when you need to FTP some files over.

It's easy, AND saves battery
  3. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    True....
    Verey true...
  4. appwizard

appwizard New Member

This is true, but as an added safety measure, you should change it anyway, what if you forget to turn off SSH, or, like has happened to me, services says, SSH=Off, but I could still SSH in.... I had to turn it on and back off in order to kill the SSH process...

better safe than sorry...
  5. dudeman

dudeman New Member

Do both!

While SSHd into your Touch from your laptop / desktop, type "passwd". You will be prompted to enter your new password twice. That's it.

For some reason, in Services, it shows two SSH services on mine. Is this what everyone else has?

Thanks,

&E;
  6. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    so where do you type passwd
  7. appwizard

appwizard New Member

That is because you've installed OpenSSH, but dropbear (the SSH daemon that was installed when you jailbroke) is still installed.

I went into my Ipod via SSH and manually removed the dropbear program, and installed OpenSSH instead...
  8. dudeman

dudeman New Member

Thanks appwizard. In another thread (yes! I searched!), you offered to post some info on getting rid of dropbear. I'm interested. I don't want to fumblef*ck around in there and end up losing the ability to SSH into my Touch at all. So, advice would be welcome.

Thanks very much,
    &E;
  9. dudeman

dudeman New Member

If you SSH into your iPod... I use PuTTY with a PC. At the command line, once you've connected to your Touch and logged in with root / alpine, you can type that command to reset your password.

&E;
  10. appwizard

appwizard New Member

I'll post the steps to remove dropbear shortly