ipod mini linux/rockbox

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by Touchnoob0211, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i have tried, and it will not fully install linux or rockbox on my mini.
    i have version 1.4.1.. and im starting to guess apple made 1.4.1 not let you fully install it. because i have tried various different ways to put it on. it stops at installing linux at 97%.. and it says it cant rejigger the boot order.
  2. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

please go to www.ipodlinux.org. this is a known error with the installer. there are several workarounds.

i used to own the mini, and i had the same problem. fortunatly, after serching the forums over at www.ipodlinux.org and trial and error, i was sucessful on getting a working linux kernel working on my mini.

as for rockbox, that does not require linux. rockbox doesnt even use linux at all. www.rockbox.org.
  3. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    much thanks man!

ya i know aton about jailbreaking and the ipot, but nothing about the mini. ill search around the site. is rockbox just a different type of like linux? like ipod to zune kinda thing.. or safari to firefox
  4. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

no, rockbox isnt linux at all. its designed to be a replacement alternative firmware to the apple firmware, but if you use something like iPLoader you can select what you want to load.

straight from the FAQ:

another link: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodLinux

5. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    could you try and go to ipodlinux.org? i have been trying for hours.. and it ends up saying internet explorer cannot display the page... and its not my internet connection or settings.. because i was on it like last week researching about it.... :/
  6. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    there are tons of problems with the server there constantly. There's also zeroslaker and Dataghosts installer which are easier to use. As for rockbox you need to get the rockbox.iPod file and make sure that your loader.cfg corresponds to it. The installtion of both of these operating systems is quite easy, you just have to learn how to use them.
  7. Touchnoob0211

Touchnoob0211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ok. good to know. and apparently i dont know how to use them, because rockbox couldnt find my ipod mini 2nd gen... otherwise that would work...

and installer 2.3 doesnt work for me either. i know its something im not doing... because theres the bugs with it like ppl say... i couldnt download the kernel to put in... is there a guide that tells you how to install with the known the bug??
    i have searched ipodlinux forums and the reg website for a couple hours.. nothin.

btw thanks everyone that has been replying to this thread

Please Register or Log in to view images

ipodtouchfans is awesome.