iPod Media Library freaking unordered, what can I do?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by multimolti, Oct 25, 2009.

1. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi!

I usually manage and listen to my music using Windows Media Player on my PC, where everything is perfectly ordered, grouped correctly and all album covers are there.
    To sync my iPod, I have to use iTunes of course. Now iTunes already has the problem that it won't detect most album covers, although they're all there in WMP. But still, the artists are all grouped nicely.
    But the music on my iPod touch is completely unordered. I see artists that actually don't exists (probably taken from "contributing artist" or "album artist"), the covers are still missing (like in iTunes) and it shows me artists twice if one name contains capital letters and the other won't (like "Bowling for Soup" and "Bowling For Soup").

Why does the iPod show it differently from iTunes? They're both Apple products! I understand it with WMP and iTunes, but not with iPod and iTunes...
    Then, is there any way of fixing this? I have music from 200 artists anyway, so it would be a long list, but with the sh*t my iPod does I rather get 5000 artists listed, so I have to use the search function every time I need a song -.-

Is there any way of fixing it? An easy way though, don't want to change IDv3 tags for every song manually.

Thanks!
  2. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Has really nobody got any idea?
  3. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Go through your music library and make sure all artists and album names are spelled exactly the same, such as, Bowling For Soup and Bowling for Soup are different so it's gonna show as different albums on your iPod.
  4. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So you want me to edit all the files' IDv3-tags manually? Inside iTunes and WMP, they're all perfectly spelled, so the only other solution would be to edit it for every single of my 10.000 songs -.-
    And I don't think it's only the artist's spelling, the iPod rather takes the album artist or composer because I have only the artist "50 Cent", but I have "50 Cent Ft G-Unit", "50 Cent Ft Yayo", "50 Cent Ft Young Buck" and around 30 more in the iPod list.

I'm currently thinking of clearing all my MP3-Files of all tags other than artist, song and album, then sh*t like composer will be gone; I never looked at it anyway.
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    your last thought is a good one...you won't come around the fact that you have to RE-tag the files (did that too to all my songs...hard work but anyway now it's clean

Please Register or Log in to view images

) and yes, iTunes is more tolerant in fact of capitalization - the ipod unfortunately isn't

in addition to that the ipod and also itunes treat albums with different "Comments" "Album-Artists" and "Artists" like seperate albums...

windows media player uses another system (itunes is fully based on ID3 tag information except forthe covers) while WMP still has an own databse for the library...so it seems that WMP is cleaner but when you try to exchange music or put it on a new computer/ipod then you'll see the mess because the database is not there anymore ...=(
  6. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay, so it will be quite a lot of work. I started just now by removing the sh*t iTunes has done so far to my music library:
    Since iPods don't support WMA files, it converted all my WMA files to M4A (which isn't bad actually, don't like WMA anyway). But it still kept the original WMA files, so everything was there twice. Now I added some new songs (MP3s) to my music collection and expected iTunes to detect it automatically, like WMP does it. But since it didn't detect my new Rammstein Album, I just dragged the whole "My Music" folder into iTunes again and it converted my WMAs ONCE MORE! 3 copies of the same song now.
    So I spent my time removing the original WMA files and removing the "<original song title>1.wma" files so that iTunes won't ever be able to convert any WMAs again.

Now creating a huge backup of my whole collection, then trying to correct the IDv3 tags.

Another question: How do album cover images work? On WMP, they're all there, on iTunes, they're not. Is there an easy way of adding them to iTunes? Shouldn't be too complicated since they exist anyway, just need to force iTunes to accept them...
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    after you've tagged all oft he songs correctly: use the auto-cover feature in itunes, i think it's in the "Advanced" menu....or is it called "Extras"? (I use a french version of itunes^^)
    or you can google for wmp to itunes importer....I dunno if there exists some app for the cover thing
  8. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay, I will try it then. First I have to get rid of this mess I created just now... after backing up my files, I used a program to set the IDv3 tags of all my files, I reset everything except artist, album, title, year, track no. and genre.
    Then I deleted the iTunes library file and re-imported the whole sh*t... now it's even more unordered, but that shows that it has been sorted by album artists before. Now editing all the artists manually and then hoping for a nice and organized library =)

Then I gonna try the album art importer
  9. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    a tip for editing: the artist, album artist and album can be done by selecting all the songs that belong together, then right click and "information" - there you can tag all in one step...so there still remain the song titles

good luck
  10. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow, finally done it! Manually renamed every artist, now the media library is freakin' ordered! "Get Artwork" worked for some albums, but for around 150 it didn't, so I'm going to add it manually now, although that needs quite a lot of time because iTunes is too stupid to understand the drag & drop I'm doing.

In WMP, I could just directly drag the image from google to the album and it was added, in iTunes I have to save it first, then go to Get Info -> Artwork and add it there. Damn
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    My way was still more efficient: Use a program called "MP3tag" and just drag the whole folder from one artist into it, then CTRL + A to select everything, type the first letter of the artist, it will auto-suggest, then press CTRL + S to save the tags, click into the list again, press CTRL + A and DEL, then drag the next folder into it and there you go...