iPod Linux . . .Don't get me wrong, but what's the point?

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by CheshireMac, Aug 20, 2009.

1. CheshireMac

CheshireMac New Member

Alright, I'm not trying to whine about how useless it is or anything, but I see all these devs trying to get a decent distro of Linux working for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
    I personally run an Ubuntu machine when I have a computer to afford the personal use, and eventually I can imagine a superior system to what Apple offers.
    The point of this post is to ask for professional opinions on why so many amateurs are interested in using what's available NOW . . . or are they just interested because it means they've hacked something?
    I know right now there's really no functionality behind the iPod Linux but what can be done in regards to hardware tweaks, OS applications, GUI's, etc.
    Thanks for any input.
  2. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    jailbreaking

The same can be said about jailbreaking an ipod/iphone, what is the point when there is an app store, well the point of both jailbreaking and ipod linux is that it unlocks a whole new level of customising that ipod/iphone.

with linux you can customise it alot and do it easily plus there is thousands, maybe millions of apps that work with linux and wont be hard work to port over to work with the ipod/iphone hardware

plus there is like 10 different gui's so you dont have a standard GUI layout like the iphone OS gui has (consists of a dock, and icons that are 4/5 across and 4/5 down)
  3. CheshireMac

CheshireMac New Member

10 gui's? Last I read, it was just the loaded kernel and not much else . . . can you show me some examples/links?
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    There is no GUIs for iPod Touch Linux? All they have was the kernel loaded and tethered Terminal access.
  5. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    no what I meant

No what I meant when I said 10 GUI's is that there is 10 GUIS for linux itself not for ipod linux, sorry for the confusion was very tired at the time