Ipod, itunes and app help needed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gale, May 29, 2010.

1. gale

gale New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I did some searching but don't even know what to search for with my situation. My computer died and I had to get a new motherboard which meant reloading windows. The HD was fine so I was able to back up my itunes library and all the other stuff in the itunes folder. Obviously it wasn't backed up through the backup feature of itunes. So I reinstalled itunes and was able to *sort of* restore the library using some instructions I found online to rebuild the library. Not all the music showed up but I think I had most of it backed up also as mp3 files so I can just re-add it to itunes. But my apps aren't showing up at all. If I plug in my ipod touch will it put the ipod touch stuff onto itunes or the other way around? Is there another way to restore my apps? My podcasts aren't showing up either but I really don't care about those-I've got most of them on my ipod touch or I can download them again. My concern is for my apps and not to lose any information I have in certain ones like roadtrip and notepad. Oh and my grocery list app. thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. mookiemeister

mookiemeister New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can download apps again. Just make sure you sign in as the same user name when you purchased those apps, then you can download those apps again for free. I've had to re-download my apps before because of problem with my iPod Touch 2G too. And iTunes let me download those apps I already bought without any problem.
  3. gale

gale New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for that info-that's a relief that I can get them again. But I'm wondering if, when I sync, the ipod stuff goes into itunes or the other way around. I'm trying to avoid losing data that is in my apps and if there's a way around having to download and start all over I'd like to try that first. Or should I re-download all of the apps into itunes first (I've never actually downloaded into itunes so maybe not...)
  4. gale

gale New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi. I just wanted to update this. I needed to sync so I tried some things. When I plugged in my ipod touch, there were no apps in my apps section and nothing listed on the left under the applications tab in the section for my ipod. So I went into my itunes folder, opened up the mobile applications folder, and clicked on each of the apps. I actually did a select all/open but they didn't all open so I went back and clicked to open each one that didn't open before. When I did this they showed up in the applications section of itunes and also in the column in the section for my ipod. When I synced they all appeared to sync normally with my data intact. Just wanted to post how I did this in case anyone ever asks.

I did have to re-add my photos and videos but that was no big deal. My only issue was the data in my apps. Also my podcasts are all gone but can find those again. The amount of remaining space on my ipod is a little different though so I'm going to go through it to see what's missing but so far nothing essential.

eta: found my podcasts-they are in the same section as the playlists. There are 20-something less songs than before and I can't figure out which ones are missing. Obviously I won't miss them much.
  5. nasra1n

nasra1n New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When I got a new computer, I used iPhoneExplorer and copied the iTunesControl/Media folder straight from my iPod, and added that folder to the library. All the music from your iPod is then in your library, with tags AND album art.
  6. gale

gale New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm back. My hard drive died last week so I had to have it replaced and windows reloaded. Carbonite is restoring my backed up files (library, etc) but I lost my bookmarks so I can't find where I got the instructions to rebuild my library. All I remember is that I had to edit one of the library files but I don't remember how and another thing is that I somehow forced itunes to rebuild my library. I think I remember changing some file paths in one file? Any idea how to do this? What I need is to restore my library from a backup that wasn't backed up in itunes. I *think* I have itunes 8 or 9-I couldn't get the current version to install so I used an old exe I had saved. I installed it but haven't opened it yet. I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to open it before I do the restore/rebuild thing.

All of my music is not on my ipod so I can't restore it that way. It is mostly imported from mp3 files bought elsewhere but there are some that I did buy in itunes and I didn't know if the library files would have anything to do with my apps.