ipod isn't recognized by windows or itunes - semi-unique situation here

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by koftheworld, Nov 3, 2009.

1. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Quick background information:

I purchased this 1st gen ipod touch (8 gig) off of a good friend of mine. He freely admits dropping the touch in water. The device itself works fine, except it isn't recognized by Windows or iTunes upon connecting to any computer. (there is an exception though). I'm not sure if you can just fry the usb port on an ipod, but I was hoping to fix the issue.

What I have tried:
    1) Connecting it to different computers running different operating systems
    2) Connecting to different versions of itunes
    3) Using different usb cables in different usb ports on those computers
    4) Placing the ipod into restore mode and try to redo the OS (this is where the exception comes in). When I put the ipod into restore mode, it is recognized by Windows and iTunes about 1 out of every 5 times. When I've tried to restore on those occasions, the ipod restarts, shows an apple logo and a spinning object, and iTunes says "preparing ipod for restore." At that point the computer fails to recognize the ipod after it restarts out of recovery mode.

Firstly, is there any hope of fixing this issue? Secondly, what are your recommendations?

Thank you all in advance!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I attempted to restore using DFU mode. Unfortunately, I never heard a beep indicating that Windows recognized the ipod. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Water damage can effect multiple parts of the iPod.
    So i'm guessing something went wrong with you being able to get into DFU mode.
    But really, it's common sense. Water+Electronics=Fail.
  3. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you for that insightful bit of knowledge. I understand that water and electronics don't mix; that's why I stated that it had been dropped in water in the beginning of the post so as to preempt comments like that. I apologize if I sound rude, but I am attempting to find a solution to what I perceive as a legitimate question.

My question here (and the semi-unique situation) is that the computer can detect the ipod when it's in recovery mode and that's it. Obviously the USB port on the ipod is working or else that wouldn't happen. As far as DFU mode is concerned, I get a message that says that the device couldn't be recognized, but iTunes starts up and a message pops up saying "Waiting for ipod." Nothing happens at that point.

Any suggestions?
  4. Gertlex

Gertlex New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Maybe with Itunes already running and the ipod plugged in, *then* enter DFU mode? If that doesn't give the popup about an ipod in recovery mode you're probably screwed.
  5. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It does do that except as soon as it verifies the connection to the itunes server the ipod becomes unrecognized by windows again. A friend suggested trying it out on a mac, but I can't see how that would be different.
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    While trying to do the original tethered jailbreak for my iPt2G back in February, Windoze wouldn't recognise my iPod. It all worked fine in OS X.

Just try it, there's no harm.
  7. Gertlex

Gertlex New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Weird. Try downloading a firmware file then shift+click on the restore button, and select the file. Mayhaps it's an itunes problem on your computer?
  8. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I wish that I knew someone who had a mac to try it lol.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Tried that too. The computer will recognize it in restore mode, but as soon as the ipod restarts to install the firmware it goes back to being unrecognized. This particular ipod has been tried on several different Windows pcs and no joy yet.
  9. iptlolage123

iptlolage123 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so do i^^^but can't you run a virtual mac