IPOD GPS USING accelerometer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jleelove, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jleelove

jleelove New Member

I have a question.
    since there are apps you can use to find the horse-power, and speed of a vehicle, is there a way to track ones position based on plotting a starting position on a map, and facing the ipod north. then using the accelerometer to calculate the direction and speed at which you are traveling. if this is possible that would allow for the ipod to do many things, one huge task could be the ability to log open wifi coordinates on a map just by driving past them. so that one can see the available connections,
    Being able to do this will also make it possible to have the option of uploading ones map to a website so that others can download the preplotted map with the available wifi in their area..
    maybe this is a long shot but heck its worth the post
    let me know what you think and if this is plausible i would love to be a part of the creation of this app.(if it hasn't already been created)
  2. jleelove

jleelove New Member

is this possible?
  3. jayjay960

jayjay960 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I imagine it would be very hard to calibrate the accellerometer to measure distance travelled, so it would probably end up being very inaccurate.
  4. jleelove

jleelove New Member

my thoughts exactly... plus any possessing problems may cause issues in the calculations thus making the distance traveled and direction become further off.
    but these issues do not seem too completely rule the application as a bust
  5. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No way, to the iPod, going fast would be the same as being tilted, think of the accelerometer as a weighted ball, and it would be the same force
  6. jleelove

jleelove New Member

I understand the accelerometer and it's workings and I have also used the app "pocket dyno" this app uses the accelerometer to calculate speed, horse power, and g's pulled.. And as with that app the app I am talking about would have to have a calibration menu and it must be sat in the same orientation the entire time. this app will have directions stating the iPod must remain stationary for the entirety of it's jurney.. "pocket dyno" works very accurately if used propoerly why couldn't this one?
  7. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you read this thread, you will probably get an answer to your question.
  8. jleelove

jleelove New Member

OK, as far as the forum is concerned in the above link it states that a constant speed whether it is 0 or 100 mph will read the same force 1g toward the center of the earth if laid flat, but they are talking about the movement as if the ipod was reading gs only after the set speed has been reached.. i am speaking of using the app in a car on the center council from 0mph,plotting a position on a map and facing the car and or ipod north, then just as the pocket dyno calculating, acceleration then once a speed is reached the accelerometer will end up reading the normal 1g down towered the center of the earth. this lets the ipod know that it must be traveling at the last speed calculated by the pull of inertia. then any movement left to right would be easily calculated and quite possibly "degrees turned", then slowing down and reverse will of course be gs in the opposite direction.. the hole concept is different then just expecting it to know your speed automatically..
  9. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Get the iGPS 360 module and xGPS from cydia.
  10. jleelove

jleelove New Member

thats sick man... then if someone could incorporate a wifi logging application with that it would be awesome