iPod got wet? No problem!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Aijelsop, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Aijelsop

Aijelsop New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is a forum that I've created off of personal experience in the past few days. (happened to my cousin)

You go to the pool with your iPod in your swim trunks pocket. You fall in. You then think "Oh crud! My iPod is in my pocket!" and you go crazy. Not to worry. Follow these instructions to help your iPod stay alive:

1) Make sure that while your running down to your house you DON'T turn on your iPod. This will fry the hardware inside.

2) Once you reach your house; without panicking; go find a baggy. Once done go find some salt. Put the salt in the bag and place your iPod in. The salt will absorb the water. If you don't have these materials, your also thinking "Crud!"
    Well, you don't have to. Your iPod MIGHT still have a chance. Just put it in a towel and wrap it up. Put it where nobody will try to turn it on.

3) Wait a few days, maybe a week or two. (wait 3 weeks for best results) Wait longer if you don't have salt.

4) Now once you pull your iPod out; you must never charge it while it is in the salt or drying, or even when you first come back from the pool, DON'T CHARGE IT; your going to try and turn it on. If it doesn't work, then try and remember, "Was my iPod almost dead (power wise) when it fell in?" If the answer was no, and it won't turn on... your screwed. Sorry. If it was almost dead then plug it in. If it DOES turn on then you are good.

5) Hopefully your iPod turns on good and works like normal. If it works, but the sound isn't working properly or working at all, please refer to EXTRA INFO near the bottom of the post.

EXTRA INFO
    Since your sound is not functioning correctly, you came to this.
    This might be because your sound is screwed, or because water is still in it somewhere and it won't dry out. Your going to want to get a Q-Tip and some white out. (this is only for second and third generations, this shouldn't be done on a first generation.) Put some white out on the Q-Tip and put the Q-Tip in the spot where headphones go. This may ruin the volume buttons but who cares? Your iPod is working and you don't have to send it in to Apple! (good if your iPod is jailbroken) You can still change the volume from the games or music. You don't need volume buttons. The volume WILL work through headphones, and most likely will work through the speakers if you perform the white out technique.

I REALLY HOPE I HELPED! IF I DID, PLEASE COMMENT! I TOOK A WHILE WRITING THIS POST AND PROOFREADING. xD
  2. iBenji

iBenji Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    My brother had a 3rd gen nano that went through the washer, we blowdryed the end with a hairdryer and put it in rice for about 2 days. When we got it out it worked and still works to this day, I didn't know salt works too. Thats good to know

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Don't put it Salt!!!

You put in rice now salt. That'll screw the insides up.
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Salt is too fine. It will get into the iPod's internals. Rice is the best option.

EDIT: ninja'd.
  5. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Anything that absorbs water is fine. I find salt gets stuck in the charge spot, so I use rice. To me, rice is better since rice dries out clean anytime while salt dries in chunks and sometimes sticks if it's too wet.
  6. iBenji

iBenji Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I would think salt would get inside the iPod and mess it up, with electronics I think rice is a better idea
  7. ezziriah

ezziriah New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Dropped my 2nd Gen iPod Touch in water a few months ago, it messed up and the volume wouldn't work and i could see the apps and everything but the light of the ipod was gone. I put in my clothes drawer and forgot about it for a few weeks and now it works like a charm! ugh didn't want to spend money out for a new one just yet and so glad I got it working again. I don't think I could live without my iPod
  8. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I wish i knew how to do this when my phone dropped out of my pocket as I was getting off the loo.

*splash*
  9. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Salt promotes rust, so it's probably not a good idea doing that.
  10. Aijelsop

Aijelsop New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh whoops! I thought I put rice.