ipod freezing up itunes when connected

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blueman785, Jul 23, 2008.

1. blueman785

blueman785 New Member

ok so my ipod works fine, there's nothing wrong with it but for some reason when i connect my ipod to my computer and open up itunes, itunes freezes up. my ipod is fine but itunes cannot function while my ipod is connected, meaning i cannot sync or go to my library or anything. i had this problem before and i thought i fixed it when i put it into dfu mode and restored it, but i guess it only worked once because i connected it again and its doing it again now. anyone have any suggestions? ive tried almost everything including rebooting, changing usb ports, different dock connectors, and i called apple support who told me to put it into dfu mode which only worked once. what should i do?
  2. james_park617890

james_park617890 New Member

this is my first time hearing of this problem but i'd try putting it into dfu mode again. maybe also try reinstalling itunes.
    try syncing on a different computer. at least with this test, you will be able to see if it's your computer's problem or your ipod's problem
  3. MrCookie615

MrCookie615 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've had the same problem, but it doesn't do it all the time for me. I would have a fresh, restored iPod and plug it into iTunes and iTunes would A) Just freeze all together or B) Take like 5 minutes... Gets kinda old... Is it possible that it's a bug on iTunes? Cause I never had this problem with iTunes 7.5. (Currently on iTunes 7.7)
  4. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    sometimes mine freezes for a little bit (usually under a minute) but it works in the end.
  5. LykeZomg

LykeZomg New Member

Mine does that ALL the time. I've tried to restore it like 5 times and it keeps freezing. I am still covered under apple's 1 year warrenty so i think i am going to contact apple and see if they can replace or fix my ipod. Maybe that will help. :/
  6. blueman785

blueman785 New Member

ok i fixed the problem! i went to a different forum and found another lot of people with the same problem. for some reason only itunes 7.7 has this problem but the solution was basically to delete and recreate your whole itunes library to free it of any corruption. if you're having this problem too, the instructions are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451
    don't worry about backing up playlists or anything they are recreated with everything else in the library. i have a library of around 5000 songs and the whole process took a half an hour if not less. at first i was sort of worried about removing all the songs off my library, but if you follow the instructions exactly, nothing is deleted.
    im happy to have this problem fixed and i hope this helps others in future reference. thanks.