iPod freezes when typing

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by legionfalls, Feb 9, 2008.

1. legionfalls

legionfalls New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just did a fresh restore of my iPod touch, and jailbroke it to 1.1.3 using this guide.

Everything works fine, the only problem is, I can't type anything without the iPod freezing!
    At step 8, it tells me to add the source, which I can't because the iPod just crashes.

I have a picture of it frozen if it's worth anything. It stays in that frozen state with the letters highlighted. And the worse part is, it's completely random. Sometimes I can get the word 'ipod' in, and sometimes I can't because it'll freeze at a different letter..

The only thing I can(And am forced to do) is hold the hold and home buttons to force shut down the ipod.

Is there some sort of fix for this yet? Or is it common with 1.1.3? I've tried looking and haven't really found anything yet..
  2. Go Avalanche

Go Avalanche Banned

hmmm.... turn on and off that worked for me or you need to restore that sucks

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. legionfalls

legionfalls New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Tried restoring, and doing it again. Same thing happened.

I also tried to do the same thing on my friend's ipod touch, same thing happened on his.

I restored and went back to 1.1.2. Although a solution would be great to help out others, and people who want to go to 1.1.3 in the future.
  4. julianbc

julianbc New Member

I have this exact same problem with a jailbroken 8 gb ipod touch. I did a regular restore, once on 1.1.3 I jailbroked using ziphone. Now the ipod freezes randomly in a lot of applications. It does happen a lot when typing, but it also happens doing other stuff.

The weird thing is, this is not the first this happens to me. When the "official" dev team jailbreak came out, I tried it, and although it worked, everything was crashing all the time. So I decided to go back to 1.1.1.

Now, I got the exact same results using a completly different jailbreak... Could this be some flaw on apple's firmware?
  5. Redshift

Redshift New Member

Hm... tell me, do you have dim wallpaper set on SMB prefs?
  6. julianbc

julianbc New Member

I don't have smb installed. Just installer.app, bsd subsystem, and the 1.1.3 apps from ipodtouchmaster.com/files/repo.xml

I discovered something else, when frozen, double clicking the home button to get music controls does work. And they are functional and all.
  7. Redshift

Redshift New Member

What jailbreak did you use?
  8. julianbc

julianbc New Member

Both the official soft upgrade from the dev team, and ziphone
  9. julianbc

julianbc New Member

Ok, I solved it. I followed the guide on touchhax.com, here's the link. I did it exactly how it's described there, on win xp. The only thing I did different is this: On the set up ipod screen, I set it as a new ipod, and I gave it a different name than it had before the restore, I also ticked manually manage music, and unticked open itunes went this ipod is connected. Then I clicked apply and then sync. That's it, then I followed the rest of the guide.

I read somewhere that this might solve it. But other people say it's just a matter of jailbreaking again and again until you get it right. I jailbreaked dozens of times, and this is the one that worked, so I'm inclined to believe it was because of this, and not just luck.

I also installed the January upgrade from ipodtouchmaster, and the keyboard still works fine.

Please let me know it this worked for anyone else.
  10. legionfalls

legionfalls New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think my iPod has a problem with it, so I'm going to the store I bought it at to get a new one (Luckily it's still on warranty, so it's free).

When I get the new one, I'll soft upgrade it to 1.1.3 and let anyone know if this helps.