iPod Disabled

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Georgenuine, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Georgenuine

Georgenuine New Member

My friend gave me his iPod touch because he is not sure what to do with it since it broke a while ago. When I turn it on it goes to the "iPod is disabled" screen. I connected the iPod to my iMac and it doesn't connect to iTunes and gives me the message error:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPod "Jonathan's iPod" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

The problem is I don't have the option of putting the passcode on it since the screen is stuck on "iPod is disabled" screen.

Is there any way to delete everything in the iPod and reset it without connecting it to iTunes?
  2. firstEncounter

firstEncounter Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try recovery and DFU mode.

Recovery mode: Shut down the iPod, hold the home button, and plug it in. It should boot up to a screen that has a cord and an iTunes logo on it (it will look like it's booting normally). If it doesn't work and boots up normally (goes to the iPod is Disabled screen), try DFU mode:

DFU mode: Make sure the iPod is plugged into the computer. Shut down the iPod. When it shuts off, hold the home and power buttons at the same time. It should look like it's booting normally, but when it shuts off again, RELEASE the power button and CONTINUE to hold the home button. After a few more seconds, your computer should install driver software for it and it should appear in iTunes as an "iPod in recovery mode".

Once you get to one of the "recovery" modes, hit Restore. Tell me if you have any luck.
  3. Georgenuine

Georgenuine New Member

It worked, I just had to put it into recovery mode. Thanks Shadow1643.
  4. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Haha, nice, scored a free ipod touch xD
    My friend gave me a water logged Nano (The almost square, 3g one) but apparantly he had tried to turn it on hence frying it D:
  5. Georgenuine

Georgenuine New Member

Haha, yeah I told my friend not to break it because he thought he couldn't fix it at all. He already has an iPhone so he was thinking about scrapping the iPod but I told him it can be fixed. So basically I saved him a pretty good amount of money, the only problem is the screen is shattered a little from him dropping it but other then that it still works pretty fine.
  6. dgxnil

dgxnil Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    cracked screen? that iPod must have been through alot !