iPod dies, puts itself into recovery mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MTBPatriot, Feb 1, 2008.

1. MTBPatriot

MTBPatriot New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been having this problem lately: sometimes when I go to use my iPod touch it won't get out of sleep mode no matter what i do. (The home button and the sleep button do nothing). I have 1.1.3 (not jailbroke, with the $20 apps)

I've tried holding down both home and sleep buttons until the apple logo pops up, and then after it finishes loading it will work perfectly for a while, and then the next time i go to use it the thing will die again.

(When I try to plug the iPod into iTunes during the times when I can't turn on the iPod, iTunes says it is in recovery mode. I've tried restoring my iPod twice!)

When the thing is unusable it is using a LOT of battery power, too. I once left my iPod on for 2-3 hours (on, but in SLEEP mode) and then had the lock-up problem, only to turn it on and find the battery at/below 15%.

I've searched the forum for answers but I couldnt find anything that would work for me. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike
  2. bluetiger20

bluetiger20 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i think if no one else is able to answer this question for you, id call apple and tell em you need a new one. i have heard of apps that really put a strain on the battery life, but none that would kill the ipod within 2-3 hours.

since ur still under warranty, i would call them and send it in. just make sure you restore to factory settings before you send it.

...speaking of which, make sure that the problem persists on a normal 1.1.3 firmware.
  3. thisonefoo

thisonefoo New Member

That's the thing.. the OP IS on a normal firmware 1.1.3 iTouch!
  4. MTBPatriot

MTBPatriot New Member

Well, I completely restored yet again to the 1.1.3 firmware and so-far-so-good.

I also reset all of my settings through the iPod itself, just because I was running out of ideas.
  5. Poopymath

Poopymath New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Another problem could be that your wifi is on. Wifi on iPoT drains battery even while its on sleep mode. Just turn it off when not in use and you should be alright.
  6. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

True, but wifi won't drain the battery within 2-3 hours.
  7. MTBPatriot

MTBPatriot New Member

Ah turns out it was on. I'll try turning it off. Thanks for that.

Hopefully after this restore it won't freeze up again...
  8. Shortyman801

Shortyman801 New Member

Wifi shouldn't drain your battery in 2-3 hours on sleep mode. I usually leave mine in sleep overnight in sleep, and the battery barely moves. My advice is to restore your Ipod to 1.1.3, then call apple.
  9. mackid1993

mackid1993 New Member

i would just take it back to apple. if your music isn't backed up a macintosh program called Sentui had experimental support for the iphone and ipod touch.

Please Register or Log in to view images