Ipod dead.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skar578, Feb 21, 2010.

1. skar578

skar578 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have a 1st gen ipod touch, 16gb. A few weeks ago I noticed it would shut off randomly. Then I would have to turn it back on, but no problem. The battery was fine, so it was not that. But then it got worse- it would not turn on right away. I dont know what or why, but i could not get it back on. then an hour later, or half a day later, or a few days later I would be able to, but at some points I would need to charge it first. Then it just would not turn back on at all, no dfu or anything.

I connected it to my computer, and got error after error. 6, 1600, 1601, 1604, etc. I just gave up, which sucked. Then today, 3-5 weeks of leaving it alone, i tried. on the 3rd attempt it restored fine, and just to be safe I set it up as a new ipod. HOURS LATER, after syncing my music and charging the battery, it was perfect. I turned it on, saw the world background, and got the 'edit homescreen' popup. There were some stuck pixels, so i moved over to the search screen, turned it off, on, and off again (sleep/wake). I used my laptop to search how to fix them, and a minute later, i reach for my ipod, and it does not turn on. connected to my computer it gives me an 'ipod in recovery mode' and i try to restore it. error 1600. No longer responds to anything, will not fix, restore, update, turn on, charge.

how the hell am i supposed to fix this, if every time i get it to work, it f**** up and i need to go through the 1+ month fixing period? I can take it to the apple store, but the connector pins are lose, and it needs to be propped up in a dock or pushed down to connect, and of course if they see that they will say intentional damage (not, it is just worn out), and if they try to connect and get nothing, will blame me instead of looking foolish, and claim intentional damage. So....
  2. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Warranty? Taking it to the Apple store is worth the try, I mean what can you lose.

Could just be it's coming to it's end in use, depending on how well you took care of it.
  3. skar578

skar578 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It is as old as they come. Probably one of the first batches. It actually came with the imac, and my dad was explaining some unused 3 year warranty or similar magic. I will talk to him about it, but probably I will have to wait until the weekend, and even so, maybe later, depending on when I have time.

Any suggestions, act sad, find a nice looking person, be emotional about it. All suggested by an mac-geek friend. I will try my hardest. But at 6'2", 200+lbs, I am not sure if i can pull off the innocent, help-me-out look.
  4. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Act like uve had a bad day and they might give you a free ipod. At least they did to this one guy and his MacBook pro
  5. skar578

skar578 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Really think that will work? I was told to look for cetain people. One particular group, and then one person specifically. How can I make sure to get them? I imagine I can go up and say I want to talk to him as he helped a friend in a similar situation?

And there are a bunch of stuck pixels in one section. Should I try to get it working to take a picture, or will that increase the chances of them calling it intentional damage?