ipod and mac not on same IP address?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by frostycool210, Sep 2, 2008.

1. frostycool210

frostycool210 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok im having big trouble trying to SSH into my jailbroken 2.0.2 ipod touch. nothing works! cyberduck, terminal, or fugu. YES i know usename is root and password is alpine and port is 22 so please dont say that. and YES i do have OpenSSH installed on my ipod.
    my question is, am i having trouble SSHing becuase my ipod and mac are on different IP addresses? cuz i heard that they have to be on the same IP address to work. is this true? if so then how can i change it so i can SSH successfully?

p.s. - when i go in terminal and do the command ping <IP address> it says No route to host. then keeps saying Host is down if that means anything...
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

the ip's ur probably looking at are
    192.168.1.x
    this actually isnt ur real ip, so it could be different.
    i find it hard to explain because im not a computer genius, so i dont know the right terms to use.
    but if u have two of that same ip (192.168.1.x), then one (or both not sure) of the people connected, will get disconnected.
  3. frostycool210

frostycool210 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah my address is 192.168.1.xxx
    but your saying that if my ipod and mac both have the same ip address then it will not work?
    if thats the case the nwhat is wrong? why can't i SSH into my ipod?
  4. River

River New Member

LOL...

Anything that starts with a 192.x.x.x. is a PRIVATE address. Giving out your entire address is not going to send hackers to your PC. It's behind your modem.

Anyways... Each device has a different IP address. Anything with a MAC address gets a different IP address. If you've ever worked with a someone trying to mimic addresses, (ie, he tries to setup 2 PC's with the same IP address) he's gonna get a "IP Collision" error, or just a "Sorry, another machine has this address..."

My network is manually addressed so I know by the last octet (the last number in your address) what machine is supposed to be there.

My setup is : 0-99 = downstairs, 100-199 = upstatirs, 250 > office/work area.

Questions?
  5. kurtisboyd

kurtisboyd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Go into your iPod's settings, and go to WiFi.

The WiFi network your Touch is connected to will show up.

Touch the blue arrow next to it and your iPod's IP address will show up.

Type that in Cyberduck under 'Quick Connect'.

The username/password box will show up and fill that in.

Wait until it says you are connected.

Voila!