iPod and 2 computers using iTunes?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by jimmyjim546, May 28, 2009.

1. jimmyjim546

jimmyjim546 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This has been something I have wondered for some time but never took the time to look into. I have a 32GB iPod Touch 2 Gen. and have loaded it up with several apps and lots of music, etc.

I have done all of this on my laptop. I am wondering if I can install iTunes on my computer at the office and be able to use either computer depending on where I may be at the time and not lose any of my apps or music when switching between the two computers.

Is this possible? I'd like the flexibility to rip a CD or two while at work using the faster computer and also using my laptop when I'm home. I could be wrong on this but when syncing the iPod, the information on the actually iPod is written back to the computer if it is not found while syncing, correct?

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. .PhP-Alex

.PhP-Alex New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i think theres a app for the music switchtunes or something like that lets you have 2 librarys but i dont know about apps
  3. DxTania

DxTania Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    All I can think is manually manage?
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Can you not just register your device and iTunes account on two computers? I haven't tried it but I know the latter can be done, not totally sure about the former. That should sort out the Apps Store. Then there's the music/video sync problem as there's no native sync-back from your device (due to piracy concerns) but one of the aforementioned progs should help with that.
  5. touch owner in AL

touch owner in AL Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I've done this before, but not with my Touch. I had a library at work, and the same one at home. IIRC, you can authorize up to 5 computers with your iTunes Account. And you can also deauthorize, so if you get a new computer at home or at work, just make sure you have everything off of there, and deauthorize it. There are programs out there, like PodUtil or whatever it is called now, that will allow you to download the music and files off of your iPod onto your computer. Then all you have to do is open up iTunes, add the folder where you saved them, and the first time you click on one to play it, it will ask you for your password. Do this, and you're good to go.

The only thing, since you can't sync with two libraries, is that if you purchase from one computer, in order to get this file to the other one, you will have to repeat this process. PodUtil is free for a limited time, but I think it was only like $15 to purchase it. I don't currently have it on my PC at work. They're a little more strict here than at my last job. But it can be done.
  6. Gman4354

Gman4354 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It should ask you to transfer your purchases if you plug it in on another computer, as long as you actually bought those songs from iTunes they should transfer!

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. touch owner in AL

touch owner in AL Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    True, but a lot of the content on my ipod is from CDs that I imported. Without going through each CD individually, which would take a long time, you'll need to use some software that will first let you add the files to your computer, then add them to your library in iTunes. Considering I have a song here and there from tons of old CDs that I own, this would take while to do manually.