ipod 5th generation hacks

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by Dragenball8, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Dragenball8

Dragenball8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i just got a ipod 5th generation from a friend and i have sort of become dependent on hacks with my ipod touch and i was thinking if there is a way to make a few modifications to my ipod. you know like mabye a backround of a percent symbol. you know stuff like that. if anyone has anything to share please do. thank you in advance
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Oh, how I yearn to return to the care-free days of legacy iPod hacking…

Your first step is to download iPod Wizard. This is your door into the iPod's system. Fro
    here you can mod, hack, and write custom firmware to your iPod.
    As far as specific hacks go, check out The Ultimate Background Hack, iPod Classic to iPod Video, iPod touch to iPod Video, and a whole load of others like Continuum and Hybrid.

These are all off the top of my head, from pre-iPhone 2004 though, and most of my frequented sites are now desolate, so bear in mind that you might have to do a fair bit of sleuthing to find it all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you want to go further than stock mods, try out Rockbox, a completely open source, full replacement firmware, with Drag & Drop media, many new codecs, emulators, themes, the list goes on.

I've always wanted to see a revival of the legacy scene, a simpler life, before all this iPhone OS, security exploits, DFU restore errors & what have you. Remember, you will always be able to mod your firmware, and there is virtually nothing you can do that can't be fixed by a restore. Even if iTunes fails, IPW will almost always be able to force a fresh firmware on there.

Good luck, and enjoy it. Sorry if I come across as a bit of a salesperson, this is something I'm extremely passionate about!

Be more than happy to help with any aspect of your iPod modding, feel free to drop a VM if you run into trouble down the line.

3. Dragenball8

Dragenball8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    do you know any tutorials on how to do this specific thing? because i have no idea on how to use ipod wizard and to all that techy stuff
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    does this work with 1.3?
  4. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Let's get you set up with Classic to video, shall we?

So, first download iPod Wizard. Then Google for iPod Classic to iPod Video. As I said before, most of the original sites are gone, so you might need to delve a bit.

Once you have the hack downloaded, plug in your iPod, then open up IPW. Then, in the top left from the drop-down list select 'firmware file'. When prompted, navigate to the .BIN and load it up into IPW. Then just click 'Write to iPod' and you're good to go!
  5. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I miss ipodwizard, I used to use it on my old nano. You could also check out iPod linux, its similar to rockbox but its linux instead.
  6. Dragenball8

Dragenball8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    would it work with the new 4g nanos with the camera? cuz i have one but i dont want to screw up my 30gb so il just check it it works on the nano.
    does anyone have any links?
  7. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No it definitely does not work with the new nano's. The latest device which is supported is the 2nd gen nano, and that was only supported recently.