iPod 4G stuck in recovery mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by oldgit9, Jun 3, 2012.

1. oldgit9

oldgit9 New Member

i was preparing to updating my wifes ipod 4g from 4.3.5 to 5.1.1. using Absinthe 2.0.4. and as per the guide, in step 2, it states to "erase all content and settings". now the ipod is stuck in the recovery mode and no matter what i try, i can not kick it out of the Recovery mode or put it into the DFU mode.

can anyone help me to get the ipod back to normal or to a stat that i can JB it?

thanks in advanced
  2. JailbreakHelp

JailbreakHelp Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Common mistake, doing the "erase all content and settings" option will delete everything. What you need to do is hold the home and power button for 10 seconds, and hold the home button for 15 seconds, now, if it worked you will have just a black screen, restore using iTunes, this will update it to iOS 5.1.1

Then you can use Absinthe to jailbreak it.
  3. oldgit9

oldgit9 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I have done what you have suggested numerous times, but with no luck.

The pod is in a continuos loop. Just showing the apple/greenpoison logo. It stays on there for upto 10min then goes to a white screen for a split second and resets its self and goes into the loop again.

I've done the the normal google and YouTube search with no luck.
  4. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Hold the sleep and home button until the screen turns off, then immediately release the sleep button but keep holding home. If it doesn't work, try again but hold the sleep button a tad longer (a few milliseconds) before releasing it. Keep trying until you get it. It is always possible, trust me.
  5. Vegeta

Vegeta Banned

You might be able to get to recovery. Hold both buttons, don't let go until its in recovery.
  6. TyHi

TyHi Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This happened to me not that long ago. Try restoring it in recovery mode. From what I know, you are stuck and cant get out.
  7. oldgit9

oldgit9 New Member

***UPDATE***
    i have finally got my wifes iPod to work...it took some time, but at least is now working. thanks to the suggestions guys. it got the ipod 50% working. the other 50% i had to figure out and google how to fix the error code 21.

here's what i done. just in case someone ells is in the same situation as i was.
    1. hold the power and home button down at the same time, this then reset the pod, but dont let go of the buttons, keep them pressed. this then resets the pod again but this time it puts the pod into the "recovery mode" (with the usb and itunes logo).
    2. connect the pod to the computer and itunes recognises that the pod is in recovery mode. if the pod is not already jailbroken, itunes will then restore the pod to the latest firmware. if you pod has already been jailbocken (like mine was), then itunes will kick up an error. in my case, it was error 21. there are many different ways to fix this error found on google and youtube, but the easiest way,
    3. disconnect the pod from the computer it was synced with, and connect it to another computer with the latest itunes installed. again, itunes will recognise that the pod is in recovery mode and inform you via a pop-up. click OK and click "Restore". this will then download and install the latest firmware and install it.
    4. when the restore is complete, the pod should be back to as it was when it came out of the box, re-connect the pod to the original synced computer and you can do a "restore from back-up".

the pod should now be fixed

Please Register or Log in to view images