Ipod 3G... Voice control in the car, help?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by prototype7, Jan 28, 2010.

1. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Me again...
    I have pretty much decided to get a shiny new Ipod this weekend and I have come up with a seperate question for you. Figured this one could stand it's own thread though.

What I want to know is, has anyone found a way to have their Ipod playing on their car stereo... and still be able to use voice control?

I would LOVE this option... I live in Florida, driving is nuts down here! But I hardly ever use earplugs and would never use them while driving.
    Has anybody seen a cable, transmitter, or combination that would allow the use of voice control AND listening to my music through the car?
    I found some little stand alone microphones that just plug into the mic port... Does anyone know if those work on the 3rd gen and if I could then use an FM transmitter at the same time?

My other option would be to use the headphones and just cut the buds off.

Can anyone test this for me and see what happens when you have the earphones AND an FM transmitter plugged in? Do you get sound from both or just the headphones?

Thanks to everyone here... this site has been a HUGE help in me making my decision to FINALLY buy an Ipod. Thanks.
  2. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hmm, How about something like this coupled with one of these?

Never tried the mic, but i use a cable like that through the AUX in on my car CD player with no trouble...should be just like using headphones with the mic.
  3. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Jupiter!

I just thought of this today... Anybody ever try a Jupiter Jack??? I'm thinking that might work.
    Is the headphone port on the Ipod similar to the standard where the mic and audio output are in the same place?
    This baby put me back a pretty penny so I'll have to wait till payday to try the Jupiter Jack out. I'll let you know unless someone beats me to it.
  4. weatherdawg1973

weatherdawg1973 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I use an old cassette-type adapter to run my 3rd Gen Ipod Touch through my car speakers. I have not tried it yet, but I have a splitter I got with an accesory kit for it that allows two sets of headphones to be plugged in. I wonder if it is possible to connect the cassette adapter into one for output to the stereo, but plug the headphones into the other and have the microphone input work for voice control.