Ipod 3G Questions... first post... Yes I've searched... Help form the pros please?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by prototype7, Jan 26, 2010.

1. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello Guys and Dolls... This will be my first real post here, aside from my intro. I have tried searching the site for two days now... I have learned some things but I'm still a bit fuzzy on a few things but I need some clarification. I'm posting this in the 3G forum because I'm seriously 2 steps away from buying a 3G Ipod 64gb this weekend... so my questions are specific to this model of Ipod. I really hope this post is okay with the mods... if not just remove it and I'll do my best but I think I'm okay with what I want to ask. Just don't wanna break the rules.

Anyway... on with the questions!

First: WHERE TO BUY
    My first question is where should I buy this super cool gadget? Is there any benefit from a particular retailer... as far as replacement should something go wrong, warranties etc? My first thought is to buy it from Best Buy... I've known people that have had really good experiences with them in the past. As long as you're in warranty you can walk in and out with a brand new device with almost no questions. I've also heard that at that point you can get ANOTHER extended warranty to cover you all over again.
    I also have an Apple store somewhat nearby so would I be better off to buy it there? Do they offer a better protection plan than Best Buy? I also realize that another option is to order straight from Apple.com... so I'm wondering which of these will be the safest option.
    If I buy at Best Buy, and then have trouble with them on a replacement, can I then go to the Apple Store and get something worked out there?

Second: Memory for Apps
    I've done some reading and seen mentions of limits placed on App Memory. I'm hoping that this has to do with the RAM and not the actual storage space on the device. I'm planning on a 64gb Ipod... so what I want to know is... Is there a limit on the amount of apps I can download on the device... or can I keep going until the 64gb is gone? I know that would be pretty near impossible and that nobody could ever use that many apps... but I'm still wanting to know if Apple has placed a "Sandbox" limit on the Storage Space dedicated to Apps.
    I plan on loading my music... a few movies... and some tv episodes... but I really dislike the idea that there is a cap on the storage space allowed for Apps.

Third: Hard Shell Cases and Overheating
    I will say this... even though they add a good deal of size to the device, after having dropped my touchscreen cellphone an uncountable number of times... I'm convinced that the case was the reason that my phone is still in one piece!
    So... I know the new Ipod has upgraded hardware which means more heat. That's just the way things are.
    So I want to know... Has anyone experienced problems with using hard shell cases on their Ipod Touch 3Gand Overheating?

More specifically... I'm really interested in the Exovault case! I know it's expensive... but that Brass case is really tempting! I have a plan to convert it to a Bioshock case. Not to mention, due to it's construction I could cut more outlets for heat if I needed. So has anyone actually bought one of those? Do you love it? Do you hate it?

Fourth: ZAGG Invisible Sheild protector
    This is the first line of defense that I had planned on for my touch. Has anyone had experiences with it reducing the effectiveness of the touchscreen? I'm all about maximum protection, considering how much I will be shelling out on this purchase... but I don't want to decrease performance!
    Who can share actual experiences with me about this product?

Fifth: Addition Battery Ipod Cases
    I've seen a few cases or enclosures that come equipped with an additional battery in them to increase battery life of the Ipod Touch. In theory this is a very promising idea... but what is the concensus among the experienced folk? Are these things a good idea or are they a death sentence to the Ipod's battery?

Well... that should do for now but I will probably have more questions coming up. I appreciate any help that any of you are willing to give me. I have never owned one of these but I know some of you guys have had one since day one. That's why I LOVE this site!
    So what'dya got?
    Thanks again!

****EDIT***
    I almost forgot one of my most important questions. Is the 3G experiencing any glitches or problems that aren't on the 2G? And if so, do the benefits of the device outweigh those?
    I will say that at the moment I do not plan on a Jailbreak. I will probably wait until warranties run out and the 3G break is improved.
  2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1st. Amazon link at the top of the page

2nd. RAM is for running apps. You have 64GB for app storage, so fill up your iPod and no more apps

3rd. I use a CandyShell on my iPod and overheating never happens. I doubt your iPod could get hot enough to cause problems, and if it does, it will shut itself off. And that ExoVault thing looks like it's iPhone only.

4th. Used one before. Really good, but really thick so it might interfere with certain cases, like the RebelTouch. It is also kind of tacky, so it takes some getting used to.

5th. I don't think it would hurt the battery, but it would make your iPod bulky and unwieldy.
  3. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    1. Online anywhere.
    2. RAM is the same on your everyday computer. The more you have, the faster it will load up things. There is no "cap" on the amount of Apps you can get. You can fill all 64GB up with Apps if you really wanted too.
    3. Nope. If it overheats, that means there is a problem inside, not because of the case. But they seldom overheat.
    4. I have one on my screen at the moment. It does not affect performance at all. You can clearly see through it, and touch the screen still. It can still pick up the tiniest of pressure like it usually would. The exovault is for the iPhone only, so it won't work with your iPod. I don't see why an InvisibleShield will affect the performance of a case. The RebelTouch itself is silicone, so it can expand the 0.8mm if it had too.
    5. No, it should not affect it. It's the same as leaving your iPod on charge all day. Once it is at full capacity it stops charging.
  4. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks

Thanks for the info there! I had never noticed. Is there really that much difference in dimensions between the phone and the Ipod? Hmm... glad I know that now!

So is there really no reason to purchase from the Apple site or Store? Am I given the same customer service from them should the thing start to go belly up? My biggest factor is that when something I paid a lot of money for has a problem... I expect a new replacement, not a refurb! If I broke it, my bad... but if it's defective I want a new one. Is this the usual with Apple or do they tend to dole out refurbs?

Also...I almost forgot one of my most important questions. Is the 3G experiencing any glitches or problems that aren't on the 2G? And if so, do the benefits of the device outweigh those?
    I will say that at the moment I do not plan on a Jailbreak. I will probably wait until warranties run out and the 3G break is improved.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I bought it from target when it was on sale, and nothing bad, no bad customer service. Apple doesn't care where you buy it, to my knowledge.

No glitches, otherwise it wouldn't be for sale.
  6. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Don't buy if from the Apple Site, you can get it cheaper else where, and still receive warranty/customer service. Just keep the receipt!
    There are a few problems, but they are resolved by turning it on and off. The ones I have encountered is the volume slider sticking (resolved with restore), and SmartPlaylists different from on iTunes (resolved by turning off Live Updating on recently added and Top 25 Most Played).

Apple has a few options. They can repair your iPod Touch, or the will give you a brand new one, or a refurbished one. There's nothing wrong with refurbished iPod Touches, but I'd personally rather have a new one like you.
  7. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i bought my 64gb 3g at costco for like -30$ and they gave me $30 itunes card. (card was for a sale) i got the card cause it was on sale. even without the sale you get it like -30+ dollars off. sam clubs does this too
  8. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    app limit

Okay... here's another.
    You guys have already told me that there is no limit to the number of apps you can download. I want to clarify and say that I do NOT plan to jailbreak for a while... that doesn't change things does it? They will still be available from the spotlight search?

Next part of the question is... once you've filled up all your pages, theoretically... and you want to move an app icon off of one of the pages but not delete it... and replace that icon with one from another app that is not listed on a page... can you do that?
    Also wanted to know if there is a way to move app icon locations from page to page without jailbreaking? It's looking like no. That stinks!
  9. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Don't no what you mean by your first question. Spotlight search works for everything on your iPod.

Yes, you can do that. Hold down an App, then they should all start to wiggle about. Move them as you wish around. Press home button to stop them wriggling and to "finalise".
  10. ipoda

ipoda New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks for the info there! I had never noticed. Is there really that much difference in dimensions between the phone and the Ipod? Hmm... glad I know that now!