Ipod 2G Touch shows up as Iphone in Itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MstrD, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MstrD

MstrD New Member

I've tried to search as best I can, and haven't come up with anything that fits this situation. Here's the deal:

I was at my son's little league game, and found a 2G Ipod Touch. It was a rainy day, and it was slightly damp. I put it in some rice for a week.

I've been in touch with the league, and the coaches to try and find the owner, but no responses.

After a week of drying out, it won't turn on. Screen is completely blank (black). I'm thinking it's completely dead. I figured the only way I will have a chance of finding the owner, is if it has some email attached to the App Store, etc.

I plugged it into my PC, and the PC finds it and starts itunes, so it isn't completely dead. (moisture indicator is slightly pink, as I'd expect) The screen never shows anything. iTunes shows it as an "iphone" and says it's in recovery mode. I don't want to recover as that will remove anything that might be on it.

My best "guess" is that the previous owner did a jailbreak on this ipod, it completely drained the battery outside, and it won't boot without being tethered? I've never done a jailbreak on an ipod, only an iphone, so I'm not familiar with how it works. If it was a jailbreak, then I have no idea what method was even used. and WHY would it show up as an "iphone" instead of an "ipod" ?

Any thoughts on how I might get it to boot, or is it truly dead?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I did try iRecovery, and it said it couldn't find the ipod.
    I'm using Windows 7, and iTunes 9.2. I also tried this on another PC, running XP.
  2. LastChaosBeast

LastChaosBeast New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm pretty sure that since it's most likely tethered it's on 3.1.2.

Use blackra1n. Or redsn0w(?). I'm not sure if redsn0w works, but I'm positive blackra1n is a possible solution.

I don't know why it says iPhone, maybe it's a glitch on iTunes' part. And, jailbreaking an iPod is way easier than an iPhone because you don't have to worry about unlocks or anything like that.
  3. MstrD

MstrD New Member

Blackra1n didn't seem to do anything. I'll see if I can find redsn0w and try that.
  4. iLucky

iLucky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Maybe it is an iPhone just disguised as an ipod touch. kinda like the iphone 4 that was in the bar disguised as a 3gs. lol