Ipod 2g Internal Speaker problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by VestRebel, Aug 29, 2009.

1. VestRebel

VestRebel Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Hi guys, i a new to this forum, i joined to seek help to this frustruating problem.

ok so i have this ipod touch 2G, i bought when it came out, and all of a sudden the speaker has stopped working. I can listen to music through headphones but the internal speaker does not work. when i open y music controls (double click home button) it shows the music keys and where the volume is supposed to be it says "dock connector"

i had it jailbroken, tried restoring it twice once with jb, once without, but no luck, right now in the process of erasing which will take 4 hours. i have never dropped this ipod.

thanks for the feedback

edit: not sure if im in right section
  2. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Woah, you said youre "erasing it", meaning you pressed Erase All Data And Settings.

If you were jailbroken when you pressed that button, your iPod will finish erasing, and then freeze when the bar fills up.

Wait until the bar fills up, and it will freeze, and you'll probably freak out, DONT!

Do This:

----------------------------------

Wait until the bar finishes, and notice it froze.
    Plug it into your computer.
    Hold the home & power button for 10 seconds.
    After 10 seconds, the screen should go black (if it wasnt black already)
    Release the power button but continue holding the home button.
    Hold the home button until you hear a beep on your computer.

When you hear the beep, go to iTunes, it should "recognize a recovery device".
    Click the Restore button. (DONT SHIFT+CLICK RESTORE TO A DOWNLOADED FIRMWARE)
    After it restores, you'll be good to go, and your volume problem should stop.

I was going to reccomend you putting your iPod in DFU Mode, even if it wasnt going to freeze, so anyway, you wouldove wound up doing the same thing.

So wait the 4 hrs, it will freeze, put it in DFU Mode, restore, and you'll be good to go.

------------------------
    Hope this wasnt too confusing.
    iAppleCentral®
  3. VestRebel

VestRebel Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    no i was not jailbroken that time, ill wait the 4 hours, and then try your steps. i think it MIGHT have something to do with the 3.0 update. thanks for reply
  4. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh, if you werent jailbroken, wait for it to erase.

I would DFU Restore anyway, because DFU + Restore is the answer to any problem if all other solutions fail.

I actually had the same problem, but DFU+Restore fixed it up.

So nevermind the part about it freezing, but still DFU Restore.

-------------------
    Glad I could help,
    iAppleCentral®
  5. VestRebel

VestRebel Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    well haha i just reset the ipod and stoped the erasing bar, now i a restoring it in DFU like u said, hope all works out
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    so, i restored my ipod to 3.0 but the problem still persists, the internal speaker does not work and the music controls says "Dock Connector" i am not connected to any dock or computer any help on this? yes did restore it in DFU mode
  6. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hmmm...

DFU Restore it (again) but dont jailbreak it.
    Leave it as is (non-jailbroken) and take it to an Apple Store.

They'll give you a new one

EDIT: But first, shut off your iPod.

Take a cotton swab and put the slightest dab of water just to get it damp.
    Swab the inside of the dock vigorously.. dont be afraid of water damage, a damp cotton swab isnt going to hurt it.

Try to unclog it, after wasting 5-10 cotton swaps, turn her back on, see it it works.

If not, just do the above steps.
  7. VestRebel

VestRebel Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Ok I tried everything from downgrading to 2.2.1 and the above mentioned steps with q tips. Neither worked guess I'll go to the apple store haha. Will they care if there is a minor scratch on the front? Lol
  8. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    They wont care.
  9. VestRebel

VestRebel Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yay I got speaker to work... Somewhat. The speaker sometimes works but Now headphones doesn't work as much maybe 3-10 seconds then off for 2 minsk or so lol well I hope it doesn't get fixed cuz I just noticed I'm under apple warranty expiring in 14 days goin to store tomorrow thanx for the help apple central. Btw I got it to work using more cotton swabs
  10. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oohh, and I'm glad that my idea that I completely shot out of the dark when I was writing that response (honest) worked. YAY! That made me feel special for today.

Look forward to your new iPod with no scratches on the back

Please Register or Log in to view images