Ipod 2.0 update failed...now can't restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crownroyal, Aug 3, 2008.

1. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

I was in the process of updating the ipod fw to 2.0. I got the apple logo with the little time circle in the bottom. It went for over an hour so i took it off the cradle and reset it (home/sleep).

It then gives me the connect usb cable symbol. I connected and it gave me "Itunes has detected an ipod in recovery mode. You must restore this ipod before it can be used with itunes".

I click restore and it proceeds to restore and then it gives me "The ipod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred." it has a (1611) and sometimes (-1) right after that.

It then goes into the apple logo and little time circle in the bottom.

I've searched multiple forums on this issue and everyone seems to be ok after they get to the restore screen but what if you can't eve get it to restore?
  2. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You got to put it in DFU mode
  3. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

I've tried this method of DFU

If you are getting error (1) or error (6) while downgrading the firmware, you need to put your iPhone in DFU mode before you can restore or downgrade the firmware.

Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

I've done the steps which include holding the home button and also releasing the home button but keep getting the same results.
  4. halo456456

halo456456 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    1. Hold Power Button and turn off device
    2. Wait 5 seconds
    3. Hold Power + Home Button For 10 seconds
    4. Let go of power button but keep pressing the home button for 10 seconds
    5. itunes will open and say "your ipod is in recovery mode and you need to restore"
    Your iPod should not show ANYTHING on the screen after step 1. If it shows the connect to itunes sign you did it wrong so just try again till you get it right.

This should work
  5. soccerpro100cn

soccerpro100cn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the 2.0 upgrade takes a long time. some research would have told u to leave it there untill it is done. believe me mine took an hour and 15 mins to upgrade.

ur wrong. that's restore mode too, just an alternative way to get into it than the person above u posted. i forget how to do dfu. its on the forums somewhere
  6. Socom2

Socom2 New Member

Hold it down for 3 more seconds after it shuts off
  7. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

Yes I've gotten this far but it either tells me that the restore failed or i keep getting a waiting for ipod notice that then fails to notice an ipod connected.
  8. CA$HMONEY

CA$HMONEY New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    i think this is the same problem i'm having...
  9. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

I am getting a bit frustrated with this. I am going to send mine in to get it fixed. I have 2 ipod touches and the first did it and then i was able to restore it. The 2nd one is a brick! I guess the rule is never upgrade something from apple that is a X.0 wait for a X.1 or something so that they can get their sh** together.
  10. CA$HMONEY

CA$HMONEY New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    check out my thread that I started on the first page called iPod touch all messed up... there are some suggestions in there that u might wanna try... right now i'm d/l the 1.1.1 firmware as suggested in that thread... it's at 76% and goin so hopefully my next posts are thanking curly for all his/her help and letting u know exactly what i did...