iPhone without data plan??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khalil J., Apr 6, 2009.

1. Khalil J.

Khalil J. New Member

Would it be a bad idea to get an iPhone 3g without the data plan?? Im going to buy it online and im not going to use internet outside the house. I am just going to use wifi. Ive heard that the bill will be super expensive because it might be using internet in the background. Is this true??
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You are going to need a sim for it to activate it when you plug into itunes. They don't sell packages for iphones here without the unlimited data plan. So basically you want an iPod with a crappy camera?
  3. pogoyoyo

pogoyoyo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i called apple tho and they said u can activate it with any sim thats with the company that your iphone is locked too... no matter the plan. i specifically asked the lady if i could borrow my cousins pay-as-you-go sim and if it would work, she said it should. I called because i cant activate my iphone using my fido sim card... but shouldnt the jailbreak activate the iphone aswell? meaning u can just put the sim card in as long as its with the same company the iphone is locked to?
  4. Khalil J.

Khalil J. New Member

IM going to buy it off of craigslist and I already have an AT&T SIM card. I've used it to activate my cousins iPhone 3g. So will there be any extra dramatic charges if I accidentaly check my mail when i'm not on wifi??
  5. hect111

hect111 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I activated my phone without a sim card a while back.

and to your quesion.

thats how i have it set up. regurly an unlimited data plan cost about 20-30 bucks a month or well at least thats what i used to pay

I payed 60 a month with 300 minutes unlimited data and 400 texts

and i rarely used the data plan even though i must admit it is a nice feuture to have around. I decided to cancel the data and get unlimited texts instead cause i would use it more. now i only pay 45 a month. Hope i helped
  6. Khalil J.

Khalil J. New Member

So I won't get any surprise charges and The iPhone won't use data by itself??
  7. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Depending on which program you use the Jailbreak will typically include the activation.

I am not sure about other carriers but in the U.S. where the iPhone is locked to at&t you must have the SIM card on an iPhone plan. Just any regular at&t plan will not work even though it is the same carrier. This is true for prepay and normal plans; they will not work in a "virgin" iphone.

When you get the phone; turn off data roaming. You should be fine from there and won't get any surprises.

If you care; I am on a 100MB data plan and have been fine with that (have never used even half of that). I don't use my phone much off of WiFi but it is nice to have when I need it.
  8. xxhorseriderxxx

xxhorseriderxxx Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    if the iPhone has no SIM, the mobile internet won't work, period =X
  9. Dablack420

Dablack420 New Member

I jailroke my iphone 3g 16gb with quickpwn (the newest one)
    but I already had an att contract so i just popped in my sim card and activated it with itunes. Plus i have sbsettings and i turn off 3g and edge just in case. Because i dont have a data plan. But i do have wifi at my house. and i havent gotten any extra charges. You may have to install yellowsnow. I did. Just to make sure i could use my sim.
  10. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    So True ^