iPhone w/o data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Storm Surge, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Is it possible to get an iPhone without the data plan? If I wanted to unlock it and use it on T-Mobile but only for making phone calls and texting, so like a regular cell phone with no internet or bells and whistles.

Could I just insert my SIM card in and go into settings and turn off EDGE/3G completely and never turn it on again? I'd still use Wi-Fi when it is available.
  2. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, this is possible, but currently only possible by buying a product called turbosim which causes a override of something or another, and really, is a pretty sketchy product.

However, it has been confirmed that the iPhone Dev Team have created an unlock for the 3G iPhone, and it will be released on New Year's Day.

The matter of getting a non-contract 3g iPhone is a little more difficult. The only way you'll get one of these is through eBay, or another online site. Note that these iPhone will be nearly 3 times the advertised price, because you are not getting a "contract" deal where you get a large rebate.
  3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    thanks, but I am right now currently looking at the 1st gen iPhone. I have some friends that might be looking to upgrade to 3G and if I can run into a good deal from them I might buy it. However, I don't care for the extra cost of the data plan so I'm just wondering if everything will be ok if I refuse to purchase the data plan.
  4. WPeterson

WPeterson New Member

well, you can get unlocked iPhone from Hong Kong and Taiwan, as I know...
    but a little complicated to do so... right?