iPhone volume question: side button issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zee, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So I just got my iPhone, and I'm loving it, there's just one thing that I'm not sure about. Sometimes I think the volume is set high, but I guess I've accidentally pressed the down volume button on the side of the iPhone and the volume is all the way down to zero. I go back into settings to increase the volume, but only one press of the volume button brings it back down to nothing. Is this a bug, a faulty phone or what? I've missed a few phone calls because my ringer was off when I thought it was on.

Is there a way I can hack the side button to stop this behavior? I've already pwned my phone so just wondering if there's anything out there I can download to change the behavior of the side button to only adjust the volume with each press instead of sending it all the way down to zero with one touch.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Does it only go back down to zero when you are in settings where you turn the volume up and click the down button on the side? or does it do it every time?
  3. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

I think it only does it when I'm in sleep mode. I check the volume settings in the settings and it's high, then I put the phone in sleep mode. I press the volume button once down. Then I go back into settings and check the volume and it's all the way down to zero.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Hmm.... just played around with it now. I think I may have figured it out. I went into settings and adjusted the ringer volume manually with my finger by dragging the slider all the way to the right. Now when I put it in sleep mode and press the down volume button it doesn't set the volume all the way down. I think the volume was set down all the way by me at one point with my finger, then I just pressed the side button and it put it all the way up. So each time I pressed down it went back to the volume setting that I had set with the slider. Now that I have the slider set all the way to high, it doesn't adjust the volume down to zero when I press the side button! Make sense?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I've been doing research. This is a bug in 2.0. It's happening for many users, even those with a first generation iPhone who have upgraded to 2.0 firmware. It seems to lower the ringer volume right after you use the phone for some unknown reason. Other ways it may happen is going into the iPod and listening to some music, once you close out the app the ringer volume on the phone can all of a sudden be set to zero. Quite the bug. Hopefully Apple has a fix for this in 2.0.1.