iphone use in canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danwr39, Nov 5, 2007.

1. danwr39

danwr39 New Member

Hello, quick question, with the rising canadian dollar i'm really looking at getting an iphone (mainly since it comes close to buying a touch for the same price, with the added feature of the camera, mic, and bluetooth). My questions:

1. Is it possible as of now to jailbreak/unlock the iphone for use simply as a ipod touch based device (ie. everything except no cellular capabilities)?
    2. If I decide to eventually use this as my main phone in the future once my current contract expires (2 years), wats the chance of it working on the rogers network?

Thanks,
    Dan
  2. bball4life8210

bball4life8210 New Member

won't work

isn't rogers a cdma network? i'm not absolutely positive, but i'm pretty sure it is. unfortunatly, the iphone only works with gsm networks because it only has a gsm antenna. so if you can find a gsm network over there in canada, then unlock it and go for it. otherwise, you're out of luck unless you just want to use it as an ipod. i say just go for the ipod touch and you'll be almost as happy (once you jailbreak it and add all the iphone apps and stuff). check out the ultimate guide for everything you need to know about jailbreaking if you get an ipod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

http://http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3884
  3. stinkeye

stinkeye New Member

rogers is gsm.. you will be able to unlock an iPhone and use it with a rogers sim card, however, i dont know about the specifics of it bricking with updates
  4. artistguy

artistguy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I know a few people using it with rogers. the data plan is killing them and the visual voicemail doesn't work.
  5. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I know a couple too. One of their bills was $700.00 for the month, with just regular phone calls.
  6. danwr39

danwr39 New Member

so say then i buy one, and just choose not to activate it till it comes out in canada (which hopefully will be in the next few months)...can i buy the phone from the states and then use it legit in canada? i just have a chance to get one now since its cheaper then buying a touch (which i have btw and the jailbreak is awesome!)
  7. bball4life8210

bball4life8210 New Member

yeah my bad i figured that out after i posted this. i was hearing that most of the carriers in Canada are cdma, and i assumed that Rogers was too. stupid me

8. danwr39

danwr39 New Member

yeah rogers is gsm, and like the other posts said their data plans are insanely expensive... my guess this is the reason the iphone isn't here (or at least talk of it publicly) yet...
  9. lilskaterpunk

lilskaterpunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I would love to get an iPhone but... im with Telus and no luck with them

darn! lol
  10. Khris

Khris New Member

I've got a 1gb data plan for $65 with Rogers. Works fine with my iPhone.