iPhone unlocking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DemonDuck, Mar 2, 2008.

1. DemonDuck

DemonDuck New Member

I am currently an ipod Touch owner, and I also use a phone with an O2 sim card, but it's pay & go...

I'm very tempted to get an iphone.. but don't really want to have to pay £35 a month for a contract... if i unlocked my phone, would I just be able to insert my current SIM card and use it as normal?

And also... is it possible to unlock the phone, without having to jailbreak - and will updating firmware 're-lock' the phone?

PS I realise this is an ipod touch forum, but I though some of you will probably be able to help me
  2. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Well.... ZiPhone can unlock a phone without jailbreaking it. I don't think that this unlock will survive a firmware upgrade, though. However, it seems likely that ZiPhone will work for quite a few firmwares yet, because unlike previous methods for gaining root access to the phone, it is not the actual firmware that is hacked, but the bootloader that is exposed when you put the device into recovery mode.

Edit - just noticed you live in the exact same county as me, so in that case I'll suggest you pay a visit to CeX, which is right next door to the Burger King at Cardiff Central train station/the bus station. They are selling unlocked iPhones for around the £300 mark. If you are willing to pay that bit extra, then make sure you ask what method was used to unlock it, and whether the method will survive firmware upgrades.
  3. cellmate75

cellmate75 New Member

What's the point of unlocking it?