iPhone unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HaGGardSmurf, Sep 21, 2008.

1. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

if I buy a 3g iPhone on eBay and unlock it, can I phone people and browse the Internet etc? All without signing up for a contract?

There is a method currently out for unlocking it right?

My current phone bill is quite high and I would rather spend a few hundred dollars and have an unlocked iPhone and not pay phone bills...

So what exactly does "unlocking" mean? What can I do if I were to unlock it?
  2. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

*Soul~Of~iTouch* New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The iPhone 3G cannot be unlocked currently, the DevTeam are still working hard on this problem but no news yet...
  3. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have been using a universal-sim for a month now and it works perfectly. You can find them on ebay. Make sure its v5.50 or higher and is the new thinner version.

They do fake your IMEI and may be illegal in some places. The network your using could also ban your sim or even worse your phone from there network. So use it at your own risk.

T-Mobile US apparently has no problem with it.
  4. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

So basically what I would be doing is stealing service?

I will probably be using Rogers in canada or AT&T (Im not sure if we still have them where I live) I could also use FIDO... When you unlock the phone, this just enables me to use whatever sim correct? So I could buy an international one off ebay, but then what network will it go on? Can I choose what network?

Also, whats the difference between FW unlock and Sim unlock? FW unlock means I can use youtube etc? basically a jailbreak, and sim unlock means I can put any sim in my phone?

(Currently I do not use a sim card, so I am somewhat new to sim cards)
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    No you are not stealing anything. The fist few number of the IMEI tell the network what company the phone belongs to. This is the part that is faked. The phone asks only once for this number and stores it. It then relays this number to the network when asked. The first few number tell the phone if its a legit sim card so its faked in order to get the phone to except the sim. Unfortunately Faking this number is illegal in some places. The network you are using it on may recognize that that phone does not belong and try to block it.

The rest of the numbers in the IMEI are your billing info and things of that nature. Some networks look at just that info and there is no problem. T-Mobile US. Get it?

You can buy an officially unlocked phone on ebay but it will cost you $1000 or more.
  6. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

The sim unlock, I understand now...

The part I dont understand is the network part... I have 2 iPone carriers in my province, they are Rogers, and Fido. If I go on Ebay, do I have to buy a rogers or fido iphone? Then it will by default connect to say the rogers network, and will use a fake IMEI? How do I find out if this is illigal or not? Is there any place I can look for unlocking a canadian iPhone?
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Im not sure about the legality f it in canada and Im not sure how to find out. Google.

If you buy a rogers phone from ebay then the only sim you can use is one from rogers.

You can find universal-sims on ebay and they are really cheap. I got mine for $20

A good place for info on *sims is hackint0sh.
  8. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

So what phone would I buy if I wanted to use an international sim? And what network would it want to join? Would it be simmilar to roaming on my current phone? It will join whatever network but you will have to pay roaming charges (that is if I were paying anything at all...)
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    A legit unlocked phone from italy, hongkong one of those places. It will work with what ever sim you put in it. Roaming would depend on your provider. whatever there rates are.
  10. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Would it join any network?

Also, look at this iphone:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Apple-iPhone-3G-...oryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That would join the rogers network, and it has the sim included?

Would I be safe to assume that has been blocked from the network thats why he is selling it for so cheap?

That also doesnt look like the 3g

http://cgi.ebay.ca/APPLE-IPHONE-3G-...oryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That one appears to be for fido, and if it is currently locked, I will have to unlock it myself, and buy a fido sim online?

Edit:
    I was looking at another, and I came across this text:

There is no contract on the iPhone and it is fully unlocked, thats right! you can use it on absolutely ANY GSM network. A TurboSIM is the how this iPhone is unlocked, so if you still want it locked to Rogers that is fine and can left that way

Whats a TurboSIM? Can I buy a FIDO locked iPone (Seem to be cheaper) and use a turbosim, and unlock it for any network?