iPhone unlock question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moses92, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Moses92

Moses92 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So If i bought a locked iphone 4 from eBay , and had it shipped to my location ( outside US that is). would i have any problems getting it unlocked ?

Sorry i know this subject has probably been discussed quite alot. I just never figured this out .. i mean didnt the person who bought it at the first place signed a contract, and would have to pay a bill every month for the duration of the contract ?
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It depends what firmware is on the device. If its 4.0/4.0.1, you can jailbreak and unlock it. But if its on 4.0.2, you'll have to wait for the jailbreak for 4.1 to be released so you can unlock it yourself.

As for the contract, he took out the contract in his name, it doesn't get passed on to you when you buy the phone.
  3. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    You may also need a sim card for the carrier to be able to activate it for jailbreak and unlock.
  4. Moses92

Moses92 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What carrier ? AT&T ?
  5. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I think the US have two carriers but the most common is AT&T. Ask your seller if he can bundle a sim with it. It doesn't have to be his sim just an AT&T sim, I don't even think it would need to be activated.
  6. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If its from the US, then yeah. However you can use a phonebook sim (check ebay or something) to do the same job.