iPhone Unlock - No Sim - Need firmware version

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by QuAdS, May 20, 2009.

1. QuAdS

QuAdS New Member

I have an iPhone 3g that needs to be unlocked. There is no SIM in it currently and I don't know the firmware version or baseband version (hence I don't know if I can unlock it)

How do I find this out??

Thanks,
    QuAdS
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You need a sim card to activate it regardless
  3. QuAdS

QuAdS New Member

I understand that. I have a T-Mobile SIM card that won't let me access the settings app Pre Jailbreak.
  4. surfboard3r

surfboard3r New Member

i having the same question except for the iphone 2g. i was thinking that maybe if you get someones sim card for an iphone already activated on cingular and then use that until you are able to unlock the phone and put in the tmobile one.
  5. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Plug it into iTunes? It should say firmware version
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    It's not going to say anything if it's not activated!
  7. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

borrow a friends AT&T SIM and pop it in your phone until it activates. then pop the SIM out. then you will be able to access the settings to see what firmware and baseband you are on.
  8. QuAdS

QuAdS New Member

no it won't say anything in itunes if its not activated yet. and the SIM card trick isn't really a possibility in this particular case. I thought there was a code or something that you can type in... but i am not to sure how it work or anything like that. I googled it already and couldn't find much.

Thanks for all the ideas so far though.
  9. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ye, borrow any ATT sim, pop it in, open itunes, activate, then jailbreak and unlock and use tmobile
  10. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Get any SIM card and pop it in. It will try to go through the activation process (even though it won't activate) and then you can pull the SIM card out and get into the main screen of the iPhone. From there you can check the firmware version.

If you want to check the baseband you will need to jailbreak it anyway. If you are going to do this anyway just jailbreak it (can also activate it at the same time) and then you can check the firmware and follow a guide to check out the baseband.

The 2G can be done the same way (any SIM will attempt to go through the activation process). However, the 2G is completely unlock able no matter the firmware or baseband.