iPhone unlock and jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrikkoo, Mar 31, 2008.

1. patrikkoo

patrikkoo New Member

Im thinking abt getting an iphone and i want to use it in both Indonesia and Australia.

in order to do that, i just use the ziphone to unlock and jailbreak, right?
    whats the difference between iphone simfree and ziphone? we have to pay for iphone simfree right?
    is unlocking means activating the phone too? so i can use any sim card i want?

im a bit confused.
    ive successfully jailbroken iTouch, but for iPhone, its kinda different, eh?

Thanks.
    im waiting for the reply.
  2. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

iPhone simfree is a semi-outdated method of unlocking.
    ZiPhone is free, and so is iLiberty. iLiberty is recommended due to certain BootLoader versions etc.

Link to iLiberty+ http://ipluspwns.com/?q=node/2

Unlocking means modifying the iPhone so it can use other cellphone networks.

Activating means circumventing the activation process with AT&T, meaning you don't have to use iTunes to activate. The reason you need to activate is so AT&T can register your iPhone and start your service. Before you do this, you can't use your iPhone, except for emergency calls, and it's useless. By activating your iPhone with a program such as ZiPhone, you don't have to go through the long drawn out process, you can cut right over it and use whatever company you want without dealing with AT&T.

Activating means you can bypass AT&T, but other sim cards do not work, unlocking allows any GSM based cell phone service to work with your iPhone, for example, Virgin Mobile is not a GSM based service and doesn't work. Virgin Mobile uses CDMA. This is a kind of broadcasting used by cellular companies. T-Mobile on the other hand does use GSM, and can be used with the iPhone.

And yes, iPod Touches and iPhones require different methods, etc. But the iPhone is definitely worth the extra effort.

I'm planning on upgrading to an iPhone but with all this news about a 3G iPhone, I may be forced to wait it out.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Good Luck!
  3. PlusPlus

PlusPlus New Member

i'm planning to import an iphone frome the US, but i have some questions and i hope someboby can help.

in germany every provider uses GSM, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

here some questions:
    #1: does the iphone include other languages (german) ?
    #2: related to iLiberty: do i get an installer with this method or not?
    #3: what about these "simtuning" methods to unlock? which is the better choice? software or hardwarebreak?
    #4: is there a Firmware which could be recommended more than the others?
    #5:if i bought an iphone on for example ebay GERMANY, which is claimed to be unlocked... which FW should it have?
    #6: is there an ipodtouchfans-like board for iphones? could somebody send me a usefull link?

thanks in advance =)
  4. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

1. The iPhone includes many languages. However, if you jailbreak etc, on certain apps like SummerBoard, you will have to manually enter the translated the names of apps and the like. For example clock is not the same in english as in spanish, so if SummerBoard is looking to replace the "clock" icon, while really its "reloj", it will not work.

2. Yes, if you check jailbreak, then installer will be there.

3. The best method is to use your own sim card from your carrier, and do a full hardware unlock (such as ZiPhone or iLiberty+)

4. I recommend FW 1.1.4, however 2.0 will be hacked and available soon! You may want to check that out.

5. It could have any firmware, but downgrading or upgrading to another firmware is really simple, and so is unlocking.

6. http://www.modmyifone.com/ is the best I can give you, they're a little harsh on newcomers so be careful.
  5. andysherman

andysherman Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    this what you do u get a iPhone you put a sim card from any carrier and put it in then you download ziphone and you click do it all and there you go
  6. ChinaSeagull

ChinaSeagull New Member

Activating means circumventing the activation process with AT&T, meaning you don't have to use iTunes to activate. The reason you need to activate is so AT&T can register your iPhone and start your service. Before you do this, you can't use your iPhone, except for emergency calls, and it's useless. By activating your iPhone with a program such as ZiPhone, you don't have to go through the long drawn out process, you can cut right over it and use whatever company you want without dealing with AT&T.

Need HELP on above text. My friend bought an iphone back from the US (we are in china) and asked me to jailbreak for her but on switching on phone it shows only the emergency call screen (as above) and I ran the modded jailbreak program and all the words screened thru but yet it was not jailbroken!! I tried to restore it but cannot despite the umpteen times of pressing the home and restore button. It did pop up 1 time but then every info about the phone was "n/a" no serial no, no diskspace, no software detected.

I have tried the moddedzip program on my own iphone and i touch without any problems but wondering what went wrong here. Is it the phone or me who missed a step?

WHAT DO I DO NOW???

save from sending it back to Apple in the US for exchange. And will they be able to detect it was jailbroken?

HELLLLLLLLLLPPPPP...
  7. PlusPlus

PlusPlus New Member

thank you very much =)

i think i won't ask any questions there so nobody will take notice of me ^^
    i did my touch jailbreak with having read almost everything on this board here, the only thing i do is asking BEFORE buying... (and of course in case i mess up)

so thanks a lot mate!
  8. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I'm using ziPhone when I can afford my iPhone.

One click, 2 mins and it's done.
    Lovely jubily.
  9. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

The thing about ZiPhone is that is permanently downgrades the Bootloader to 3.9, if you bring it to Apple after restoring to 1.1.4, and they see you still have Bootloader 3.9, they will suspect something and may not service it for you. 1.1.4 is supposed to have Bootloader 4.6 I believe.

iLiberty+ uses a "Fake Blank" which means it creates a false Bootloader from 3.9, imitating and displaying as 4.6. Of course when PwnageTool comes out, you can have any Bootloader and it will work fine.
  10. Katsuro

Katsuro New Member

This is for iphones, is this for ipod touches as well?
    And can it be reversed somehow?
    I mean if ziphone can downgrade it, wouldn't it be possible to upgrade it again?