iPhone takes a dip in water

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raist3001, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    This past August, I was on vacation with my family. I accidentally slipped down a boat ramp and fell into water just up to my waist. Unfortunately, my iPhone (2G) was in my pocket. I was in the water for all about 5-10 seconds, but long enough to damage my iPhone. That night it would not boot at all. I set in rice, applied some heat...nothing I did brought my iPhone back to life.

So I got a new 3G and did not give my ol' 2g a thought. Until last night. 6 months after my iPhone took a dip, I playfully attached it to my PC and almost fell out of my chair when the iPhone actually showed the battery screen. I left it to charge and was totally able to restore to 3.1.2!!

However, the sleep button will not work and once I unplug the iPhone from the PC, and it locks, the iPhone will reboot and continually flash the apple logo. The only way I can get it to boot is to plug it into the PC. Then it will boot and the phone will work normally. Everything works except the sleep button.

Anyone else have a similar experience who was successful in bringing their iPhone back to life?
  2. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    LOL "iZombie", thats weird !!
  3. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That is pretty cool that your iPhone took a trip in the water and still worked. I always am afraid I will lose my iPod due to water damage.
  4. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I'm guessing that there is some corrosion damage that is causing the sleep button and or the home button to make contact.

When I do have it plugged into my PC, the iPhone will suddenly wake and go to the shutdown screen, or just go to the lock screen. Once I am on the springboard, everything works normally.

I think I am going to open the phone again and see if I can spot any corrosion that I can quickly clean. Thing is, ever since I changed the back, I have not been able to remove it again. I wore down all the pry tools I had purchased.

By the way, iZombie....that was too funny

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyone know which parts may be need of replacing?
  5. melonz

melonz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    lol Nice. I remember that happening to my ipod touch. It fell in water and was in water for about 5 seconds or so. Even though there was water under the glass it was still working! But just to be safe, I turned it off and let it air dry over night. The next day it was working as usual.
  6. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Your battery might be shot.

As for the boot loop, DFU Restore it.
    That should take care of it.
  7. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Unfortunately my sleep button is not working so I can not put the phone into DFU. Is there any program available that will put my 2g 3.1.2 iphone into DFU?