iPhone Sync Issue and Jailbreak/unlock issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by v1dz, Apr 13, 2010.

1. v1dz

v1dz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey,

I got a iPhone 3G
    Firmware : 3.1.2
    Modem firmware : 05.11.07

Its jailbroken with blackra1n and it was working all fine.
    Suddenly ( i guess after the iTunes 9.1 update) I am not able to Sync my phone with iTunes and i get the error message of 0xE8000022 .

I am not sure how to fix it, the iPhone does get connect to PC as the photos are displayed as in the different drive. I can internet tether with my PC (windows xp) but the i cannot sync it with iTunes nor iFunbox or any other iPhone file browser works.

Now the only solution I found out was, to restore and re-jailbreak it. But since restoring would have to be done on 3.1.3 as iTunes would force me to do that my baseband [modem firmware]) would be updated and there won't be any Unlock for me

But since I have the Vodafone sim and Vodafone is one of the official carriers in India for iPhone. So i want to know do i need the unlock or not?

I got it in India ofcourse not officially, so no warranty/guarantee covered for now. And when i got from the dealer he had jailbroken it already not sure if it was unlocked.

Thank you for your help.
  2. Richard101

Richard101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if your using a iphone 3G you can still restore to a clean 3.1.2 without haivng your SHSH's backed up because itunes doesn't care what firmware you restore on a 3g you could also just make a Custom 3.1.3 with either sn0wbreeze(Windows) or PwnageTool(Mac) and restore it to your phone while preserving the baseband because both thoughs tools remove the baseband update.
  3. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Correction Richard... Apple does care what firmware your running on the iPhone 3G. I was on 3.1.3, tried to go down to 3.1.2 and it wouldn't let me. I finally worked my way around it, got onto 3.1.2 and it locked me out, then I worked my way around that and was missing my status bar... But I was on 3.1.2, and tried to restore again to 3.1.2 but it made me update.

If VodaFone is an official iPhone carrier, and they'll supply you with the SIM.. You don't need to be unlocked, or have a jailbreak. Your free to update to 3.1.3 if you'd like, I suggest clicking "restore" and then "restore and update" whenever it prompts you to choose that. This will wipe the HDD clean, install iPhone OS 3.1.3 and you'll be on a stock firmware, and if your SIM is popped in you'll be making and receiving calls without a jailbreak or unlock.
  4. v1dz

v1dz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Are you sure we can do that ? I guess Apple would block me off from iTunes and won't allow me to do anything .. Just confirm and do tell me.

Yup I understand if its official we don't need a SIM, but the phone wasn't bought from the official sources. What I mean is, i didn't buy it from Vodafone store or something. Still it would work right?
    Else i would need to unlock it which is not possible on 3.1.3.
    But jailbreak is possible right?
  5. stanleybridgeboy

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    If you didn't buy from the store itself it could be locked to whatever carrier you bought it from.

It's hard to say, I believe at once Apple was selling unlocked iPhone's... But I could be wrong.
  6. v1dz

v1dz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    But if I download a firmware from somewhere and try to restore from tht firmware, shouldn't the official carriers be already whitelisted in that? iPhones aren't hardware locked are they?

And I m sure apple doesn't make firmware for evry region separately so one firmware for all.
    Couldn't that be the case?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ya apple is selling unlocked phones in Hongkong and some other regions.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Hey mods
    sorry buy can you move this thread to http://www.ifans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198

i just realized I should have created this thread in tht section.

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. stanleybridgeboy

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Apple could have locked the iPhone to a specific carrier. Mine is locked to Rogers, it won't work with a Bell SIM.

And if Apple is selling unlocked iPhone's, it makes it clear that they're not universal on any carrier. The phone is branded, not the firmware. But I have a feeling the iPhone detects what carrier your on before it restores, or maybe after... And then contacts Apple to put in the carrier settings.

Whenever I restore, my carrier settings doesn't need to be updated or re-installed. So it's automatically branded into my iPhone.
  8. v1dz

v1dz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Is Bell too the official carrier along with Rogers in your Country?
  9. stanleybridgeboy

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Almost every carrier is official here. But Bell owns a couple too, so that explains it.

Rogers
    Bell
    Telus
    Virgin Mobile

Those are the Canadian carriers I know of in my area that are official. There could be others in other provinces of Canada. (Provinces are the same as States in the USA)
  10. v1dz

v1dz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ooh man I am seriously very confused now! :|