iPhone should totally go to HTML5 instead of Objective C

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by moonman239, Jun 9, 2010.

?

Should Apple make HTML5 one of their primary development languages?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Nope.

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. moonman239

moonman239 Banned

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    As in, I think that Apple should make HTML5 one of their iPhone programming languages (if not the only). What have they got to lose? Oh, that's right the iPhone SDK, which is only available on a Mac. But on the other hand, not requiring an iPhone SDK (or not requiring it to be run on a Mac) AND making it super easy (via HTML5) to develop an iPhone app would encourage more people to develop for iPhone. More developers = more apps = more $$$, possibly more than they are presently making with the Mac restriction in place.

They can still require that people be signed up for the iPhone Developer Program in order to submit their app to the App Store.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    There's nothing like good old native execution, my friend. Yeah, I'm biased—but I will concede that a good deal of apps don't need to be native, from a performance perspective.
  3. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I would tell you to tell a dev to create an engine that will use html5, but it would be against the rules to use it

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

So... what you want is something like the Palm Pre?

No. You would be crippling a lot of applications that push the iPhone to its limits by inserting a useless middle man into the equation. Why create code that is interpreted by another app which in turn executes your code when you can simply create code that runs natively on the phone itself. You would be robbing many apps and (especially) games of the perfromance they demand.

That's just the first problem. The other intolerable issue with your suggestion is that there would be no way for developers to create closed source applications. This would preclude many of the large game and application developers from developing applications for the platform, severely reducing the amount of quality applications until what you have is an AppStore full of garbage.

That said, you can make HTML5 apps if you want. Simply create any application that you want and prompt the user to save the application as a web clip through Safari. Alternatively, create a basic web based application that loads a web page stored on the device. That part should take about five minutes. Now, take that stored web page and make it do whatever you want it to do, using HTML5.
  5. Freerunnering

Freerunnering Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why on earth do you think it would be against the rules to use it???????????
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Or you could simply create an SDK that then converts it to native code like Titanium does with javascript.

A better solution would be to use PhoneGap as that has things like custom popups, accelerometer, and location services.

6. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So you want to go back to 2007 where we had to jailbreak our iDevices in order to execute native code?
  7. Freerunnering

Freerunnering Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No but that HTML5 CSS3 code converted to native code as another development option would be a good extra development tool for the iPhone, without the complex pages and pages of objective c code to just achieve simple things, aswell as native objective c code.
    Like another SDK similar to Titanium or Nimble kit?

8. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    HTML was designed for WEB pages/now apps too but it is not intended to be a language for coding local applications!
    Objective-C on the other hand is a pretty "old" and established programming language for apple computers (the iPhone is basically a small computer too). So there is no way that apple will change its base from obj-c to html5.
    It'll annoy MANY developers - AND: try to call a libraryy like OpenCL or OpenGL using HTML5 ->> forget it (no 3D games/things like that with HTML5)

//EDIT: it is not your fault but without basic understandings how coding/application designing works this question cannot be answered in an objective way^^
  9. Freerunnering

Freerunnering Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know how to program i've made a native objective app that's in cydia and a flash cs5 basic game that's hosted on my repo.

I didn't start the topic but i think that as apple likes HTML5 ans CSS3 so, they could let you make apps like PhoneGap does (and like the safari addons that are coded in web languages) as another option in the SDK that calls iPhone specific functions (like phonegap) would be a nice addition to the SDK, i don't think for a moment it could replace native code or things like OpenGL & Unity3D though.

10. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Bad idea.